Open Mic Recording (while hosting!)

keith.rogers

The only real accomplishment here was that I have a recording at all :). I'd already decided that trying to do video along with audio was really stretching the one-man-job category, but that didn't deter me from adding hosting the open mic to those!

So, a lot went wrong. Two cameras were shoved into inaccessible places and turned on and the 3rd was on but had (op-err) the shutter set too fast so is so dark mostly unusable. And of the two that were on, one was over bright so getting them close to the same is not easy. Then, really wide angles to try to miss anything since I couldn't see what was actually getting captured, well, it's cropped down and grainy. But, c'est la vie. I survived and might do it again if I feel crazy. I learned once again about the necessity to really test out those great settings you read about on the internet before just pushing the red button and not looking at anything until the next day!

Audio here was recorded on my Zoom F8 - now that's a nice piece of equipment that's going to save me a lot of time.

The performer here, Len, is like a lot of us retired and semi-retired folks, working on something that was suppressed for several decades. He's a bear to capture because "mic technique" is not at the top of his list. Here he's using the more refurbed of the SM58s I got from a friend. (Another open mic I captured him at has the Beta58 - supercardioid is not a friend to Len.)

To be clear, not me in the recording, and not a request for performance critiques! Gentle jabs at the audio/video "quality" are fair game ;).

YouTube

I'm usually very honest which gets me in trouble, but there's nothing wrong with the audio - sounds pretty live and good to me. The mic suits him, and the guitar is nice and clean. The video is also perfectly usable. The two angles match and people can watch it and forget about technical matters - they don't apply. It's a decent job I think.

Back