New acoustic guitar album

w1av

Greetings.....here is another album I just finished. This one is all acoustic guitar playing in many different open tunings. The last song on album is a collaboration with a friend of mine who put stereo chorus fretless bass, dobro and percussion on one of the songs. All songs written, played and recorded by myself. Tracks recorded on Korg D888 digital 8 track then files copied to computer for final processsing using Mixcraft software.

Soft Acoustic Adventures | Robert A. Ruzzo

The 3rd track’s beginning sounds like it can be in a movie! Reminded me of The Namesake for some reason.

I’d love to know how you did everything. I can get an awesome sound on a classical guitar, but how did you mic the steel strings?

What guitar?

What mic?

How did you mic them?

What was the room like?

What were the mics going into?

Easily one of the best sounding steel string recording I’ve hear on here. However, in my experience with classicals, the thing that dies the MOST to get a good sound is the guitar itself. I have a guitar from the 1910s. It has pegs as tuners and was made before there was a difference between classical and flamenco. It sounds amazing, and micing it is a breeze.

The easiest comparison I could make in micing that guitar is like a nurse trying to draw blood from someone who’s veins are already apparent and bulging out. It’s very easy and hard to fuck up if you tried.

Yes, details would be nice!
I've been listening to new track from Virginia band Carbon Leaf, and on one of them the guitar part (picked, not strummed) is so smooth, no 'pick strike, or low end boom. I was going to ask the guitarist (who also does their mixing) last night how he did it - but after listening to their show, I didn't need to - it was the guitar and technique. Plugged in - and not plugged in, because they a final song that way), the guitar (a smaller body Gibson) sounded just like the recording.

Just a quick update....I changed/added some new material.

OK now the technical details. I recorded this music mostly using a Fender acoustic guitar. I used a KORG D888 digital recorder using 2 tracks per guitar. The microphones were 2 AKG P170 condenser mics in an X-Y position. The mics were about 4" from 12th fret. I built a small insulated recording booth to sit in when I record. It is all trial and error. I find the x-y configuration offers the best quality. In mixdown I pan one track of guitar about 85% to one side and the other guitar track slightly off center. I just keep playing with pan for each track till I get a nice stereo mix. Mostly all 2 tracks per guitar, rhythm and lead.
I then usually put a high pass filter on guitar tracks. Minimal reverb, if any. A touch of tube driver, just slightly to get a little edge. On master track I use mastering EQ and compressor, usually a few Russian freebies.
I prefer close-miking. I almost always record in a heavily insulated small booth I made out of an old folding office wall partition. My studio room is pretty soundproofed with insulated cieling tiles. I record everything at moderate volumes. I NEVER plug guitar in...that ruins the natural acoustic tone. For the most part, in the past my guitar of choice to record with is an old Yamaha nylon string classical. But doing open tunings with a classical guitar is a waste of time. I used about 8 different open tunings on this album. I have also weeded out some songs that I didnt like and added a few new ones.
Check out the album cause I updated it. Bob

Last edited:
Some pix of recording process.

Here are some pictures.....the KORG D888 8 track digital recorder with 2 ART preamps attached. This set up is what I used to record with. Files were then taken off and uploaded to computer for further production.
The X/Y mic config. The Fender guitar I used. And the main mastering plug ins to get the final sound. These plug ins are FREE and really do the job.

100_1885 (Small).JPG100_1887 (Small).JPG100_1888 (Small).JPGCapture.JPGCapture2.JPG

I had good luck recording my classical nylon string guitar with a single CHEAP-O MXL condenser mic. For some reason, these cheap mics work VERY well. I put mic close to 12th fret somewhere between 4" and 6".....keeping an eye on levels. The trick is to get a GOOD raw track down. Then after that, I will put a little TUBE DRIVER on there....just a smidge to boost volume a little. I add a HIGH PASS FILTER to cut out any boominess. Recording with mic near 12th fret and NOT soundhole reduces much of the garbage low end rumble. Play with EQ a little. Alot of the sound also relates to the type of music you play and what you are playing guitar over. Mix with good studio speakers and not headphones. I usually tweak my mixes a few times after marathon listening sessions. Then after I weed out any issues I can get a decent final copy. I have learned recording is an ART, not a science so there will be alot of trial and error. But the main thing is getting a good basic RAW track first....then there is alot less crap to add to it. The more effects you use, the more your chances of muddying up the track. I use EVERYTHING in moderation.

Back