Live session - The Flowing

WOW! What a beautiful job! Recording, playing, singing, mixing, mic placement, un treated room, it all sounds great. Amazing! Very talented my Brother! At first I think I head some background hiss but after seeing your sheers blowing I think maybe it was the wind. I like it.

Wow! That really means a lot. Have been working on my production skills a lot recently. Hopefully it's paying off.

Yes, there is some hiss and low rumble as I have the back door open obviously (main road outside 10 metres away) I left it open to add to the vibe haha

Many thanks

I was playing with your audio, as I am out of town and it is to early for me to start making noise. This is what I did. I removed the bg noise, added a slight fad in and fad out, rolled off the low end around 80hz and used a soft knee peak limiter on it to get to a -0.1dbTP after raising the volume by 1.4dbs. (I have no idea why the volume raised). The image below shows the difference between your original and my rendition. I stripped the audio from the video and it is not the best quality. You can listen to my efforts here. Again, I LOVED the original, I am just trying to hone some of my skills I think I am lacking in.

View attachment 100443

That's great will check this out later. I
set my mastering limiter to 0.30 to reduce intersample peaks (as there is lots of dynamics) hence why you increased the volume I guess...

Nice song and good job. I liked that flowing curtain!

FWIW, unless you've got some good noise reduction s/w, you might think about mic placement to reduce that background noise. You can always place another mic in the room to capture that (or use the video's audio track if it has one and is usable) and mix in a very small dose to give the recording more ambience.

Nice song and good job. I liked that flowing curtain!

FWIW, unless you've got some good noise reduction s/w, you might think about mic placement to reduce that background noise. You can always place another mic in the room to capture that (or use the video's audio track if it has one and is usable) and mix in a very small dose to give the recording more ambience.

Thanks Keith. I have the Waves noise plugins but don't really like using them as I feel they colour the sound somewhat. 95% of that background noise is coming from the open door (road outside) I'm working on an album at the moment and can categorically say that door has been shut ;) I also plan on buying some more acoustic panels to control room reflections a bit more.

thanks for all your feedback

Thanks Keith. I have the Waves noise plugins but don't really like using them as I feel they colour the sound somewhat. 95% of that background noise is coming from the open door (road outside) ...
Noise removal always takes something away but it can be pretty subtle if you're willing to pony up for something like iZotope's RX (the whole enchilada - not just the light plugin). Still, better to be in a position of wanting to add something than having to remove.

But, in a video like yours, some of the external world needs to be there, IMO, so you just need to figure out how to control it. The placement of the vocal mic, for instance, pretty well insured it was going to have a lot of that open door sound, but if it had been perpendicular to the door, it probably would have been substantially less (though blowing wind is going to always be a problem if it's that close). You might think about being a little farther away from the door or window, too!

If you want to see some amazing live video, google "Good Harvest" and maybe start with Woodstock and the Clocks vid (listen for the birds :)). I'm sure there's been some noise removal there, but it's darn good IMO. (Of course, having excellent performances to start with always helps!)

Back