Diamonds in the rough in Peru.

radi0j0hn

I have the privilege to host a network radio show for the Catholic Diocese of Lacrosse, Wisconsin. Out of the more than 300 weekly episodes, I especially enjoy my interviews with the folks who run an orphanage in Peru for abandoned and abused kids who have seen so much sadness in their little lives.

Director of Casa Hogar, Monsignor Joseph Hirsch, has always shared his love of music and playing guitar with the kids. Many are learning to play.

The people who make the world-famous McPherson guitars in Wisconsin have donated quite a few, which he hand carries to Peru. These include a number of state of the art graphite models that can withstand the climate and salt air.

Most of the early recordings of the kids singing are fun to hear, but very amateur, very untrained, with no harmony or listening to each other. But the recent addition of a part time choral conductor has changed all that and brought out singing that melted my heart. Here is an example, recorded on a smartphone!

Someone is going down with some "pro" gear to get better recordings. They'll make CDs to use for fund-raising.

Casa Hogar Kids Singing

Back