a cover of the classic "highway star"

Sounded great...too great...

Who's playing the keyboards? I play this in my Classic rock band and I can't get that flipping organ solo right to save my life...this was spot on..

splain hows this was done..

Thanks,

Tomco

hi tomco!

the keys were all played in real time by Xenophile (dave schuler) a buddy of mine i met at the vsplanet..

he also programmed the drums, painstakingly....

then i dubbed the bass part in (Carvin LB70 thru a sansamp bass DI),
then the rhythm (super strat into mesa boogie mkIIb and an isolation cabinet with V30's)
and the two lead solo tracks (again, the MKiib into a avatar 1x12 with a g12H-55),
and finally the vocals, WHICH OF COURSE, was the hardest part!!
LOL

i couldn't do the high screams at the beginning, so i played them on my strat.

the solo is not like the original, i changed it (the harmony part) just to make it a little bit my own.

Well that is one very excellent cover of a fantastic song..kudo's to you and I hate Xenophile (Dave Schuler)

I listened to it, then went back and re-listened to the original and have to say I like your one better, more drive and clarity. Love it - AND - this isn't my kind of music at all.

Great tune, great performance. My hat's off to anyone willing to take on AND do well the iconic rock songs buried deep into my psyche :D

Great tune, great performance. My hat's off to anyone willing to take on AND do well the iconic rock songs buried deep into my psyche :D

Yeah......for SURE.....every time I ever heard that song I thought to myself how DIFFICULT it would be to do a cover. I believe Joe Bonamassa did a cover of the song......but with some of the original Deep Purple guys. Your version is right there with ANY version I've ever heard. Nice work!!!

Had another listen. Great stuff. I like your improv on the solo, and those keys! !
Absolutely killer! :)

hey guys, thanks for listening,
i'm glad so many enjoyed it.
it's kinda like a guilty pleasure.

musicturtle,
that vocal was done into a ADK Hamburg condenser, run into a A Designs Audio MP-1 preamp, a dbx compressor, and into a maudio sound card.

Back