Taxi

Jerome Dragun

Has anyone used taxi before? Are they repituable? I question the way they told me how they would submit my music if I joined.
Sometimes you just can't pin a piece of music
down and stick it in some category and other
times it can be a cross tune. I asked if it was a cross tune would they submit it to different clients and no they would not, I would have to resubmit it. At other times I'm
not even sure what I would call what I write and ask them if they would catagorize it for
me? The answer was no.

This is absoloutely true.... I shit you not!!!
If you read closely about Taxi, at one point they strongly state... "Never pay anyone to listen to your music!"
Then they tell you how it costs $250.00 to join, in order to get the "right people" to listen to your music.
Yes, that's right. Hypocrisy at it's best!

Personally, I think it's a beautiful scam. I have two different friends who have joined. Both of them are extremely talented lifelong musicians who presented awesome material.
Ya know what they got?
Zip.... Zero.... Nada....

One of them was told that one of his tunes was "being strongly considered" as background music for a "sports highlights" film. That was almost a year ago, and nothing materialized.
The people who run that service have gotta be raking in the $$$$$... big time!

Could be a scam, and how would we know, but what I don't like about it is how prescriptive it is. They say: 'We're looking for this kind of song - can you come up with it?' Songs to order, in other words. That doesn't produce anything original, it produces mere facsimiles of what somebody you've never met thinks they're looking for. Get some glasses!

Thanx for the info. We are not subscribing but were just kicking the idea amongst five of us, figured (there special
offer of $200) for 40.00 bucks apiece what could we lose but the 40? But you guys are probably right, might as well put the money to some gear. But then again i've been playing for over 35 years and probably have not made enough money to pay for the strings i bought and whats a poor slob to do?

Taxi is legit. I know bands who have gotten music placed through their service.

You're probably not going to get a cut with Garth Brooks, but these guys got some stuff in a couple of indie films.

dave @ kathode ray
www.indiebiz.com

I just read "88 Songwriting Wrongs and How to Right Them" by Pat and Pete Luboff (accomplished songwriters and past editors of Grammy Pulse magazine) and, for what it's worth, they recommended TAXI as a good source for receiving song feedback, stating "Whether or not your song gets passed on to the producer or publisher, you get solid written feedback from the screener...this is a valuable service if you are serious about pitching your songs."

Also, $200-300 bucks (plus $5 per song)is nothing. I used to spend that much every month on beer and cigarettes.

It should go without saying that TAXI (or any other agency, association, or music service) is not going to please everybody.

DUKE-X

Back