Sync Licensing [TV, movie, advertising, etc]

Pinky

and The Brain...
Synchronization rights - Wikipedia

I'm interested in making a few songs available but not entirely sure how to go about this. Tunecore and some other companies seem to offer related services for registering, does this in any way make the music available to those looking for it or is this simply a means for getting payment once someone is interested? How do TV ad companies, for example, even find out about music being made available to them by artists for their use? Is there a big database somewhere?

Last edited:
Tunecore, etc just collect the money, they don't do any promotion and no one 'looking' for music to use goes there, or to CDBaby or even to iTunes to find it.

One of my bands used a company called Tinderbox to negotiate contracts with a bunch of TV networks. They already had contacts with the networks and a standard contract for putting us in the library.

They charged us $100 per contract (up to 10) plus $2000 for a radio mailing campaign and our music was licensed twice for <$300. Probably not worth it.

So long story short, find the DIY solution!

I'm finally registered and verified on Pond 5, awaiting review of my submissions. It looks promising, though I'm still suspicious it's a trap to pay for rank/priority on search results.

Back