Studio advertising ideas?

d.bop

Hey gang!

So, I've been brainstorming ways to promote my home studio. So far I've come up with the obvious.. Craigslist, website, flyers at music shops, going to shows, and meeting venue owners.

What are some out-of-the-box marketing ideas that you guys use?

I can offer mixing, finalizing, editing, sample replacement, pitch-correction, quantization.. Basically everything except full-blown mastering and in-house recording. I have a diploma in media production, and I've had an internship with Dave Hill over at Cranesong.

I've been learning and working with a few bands over the past six years and I'd really like to get a real business going.

Any help with marketing and promotion would be EXTREMELY appreciated!

Thanks everyone,
-Dustin

I'm managing some advertisement for my best friend and I'm looking into a lot for my own website. I can't say that I know how to advertise especially for studios but I think one of the most important ones today is social media.
Online presence is very important nowadays, no matter what services you offer. Make yourself easy to find through facebook, twitter or other websites where you think you can find prospects.
One perfect way to keep people interested is to find out small and easy things for them to engage with you. It might be sending out a funny question on your facebook page or keeping a small contest. Generally saying what's going on isn't always the best thing unless it excites or interests your followers.

As a small, independent company, focus on what you have that bigger players don't - quick feedback and support, keep updated on what you could do better in order to interest your following even more etc.

It's just a few tips. The best marketing campaigns are the ones that nobody have come up with before.

Basically everything except full-blown mastering and in-house recording.

-Dustin

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be wise to tackle this first? Personally the only reason I'd book studio time is because of equipment and room acoustics. Maybe I'm wrong but I think it would be hard making a living just from buying some $700 Tascam recording bundle and only making house calls.

Another area of potential revenue is learning to play Bass, Keys, Guitar and Sing and then hire yourself out as a studio musician laying down backing tracks. This skill set lets you pad your margins you can get payed once for playing and then again for tracking.

- Racherik

I'm managing some advertisement for my best friend and I'm looking into a lot for my own website. I can't say that I know how to advertise especially for studios but I think one of the most important ones today is social media.
Online presence is very important nowadays, no matter what services you offer. Make yourself easy to find through facebook, twitter or other websites where you think you can find prospects.
One perfect way to keep people interested is to find out small and easy things for them to engage with you. It might be sending out a funny question on your facebook page or keeping a small contest. Generally saying what's going on isn't always the best thing unless it excites or interests your followers.

As a small, independent company, focus on what you have that bigger players don't - quick feedback and support, keep updated on what you could do better in order to interest your following even more etc.

It's just a few tips. The best marketing campaigns are the ones that nobody have come up with before.

Thanks. This is REALLY helpful information. I've been thinking of social networks but haven't thought of exactly what to write on them. I've got a few good ideas now from your post. :)

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be wise to tackle this first? Personally the only reason I'd book studio time is because of equipment and room acoustics. Maybe I'm wrong but I think it would be hard making a living just from buying some $700 Tascam recording bundle and only making house calls.

Another area of potential revenue is learning to play Bass, Keys, Guitar and Sing and then hire yourself out as a studio musician laying down backing tracks. This skill set lets you pad your margins you can get payed once for playing and then again for tracking.

- Racherik

Oops, I should have been more clear. I have a well-treated space for mixing, I just can't track "in-house" because only one room, this one, is available right now (though, I can use other local studios to work in.)

That's a good idea for offering myself as a session player. I've been playing guitar for a quite a while now and people tell me I can sing. I have some piano and percussion skills I could probably whip out, as well.

Thanks! :)

Well you have to go where the bands are try your hand at some live 2 track recordings to get your name out.
Then everything else will be word of mouth which can go a long way in a local community.
But watch it for the word of mouth can be for the good or the bad. ;)

Well you have to go where the bands are try your hand at some live 2 track recordings to get your name out.
Then everything else will be word of mouth which can go a long way in a local community.
But watch it for the word of mouth can be for the good or the bad. ;)

D'oh! I should have thought of that. I already have a USB interface and a netbook that works great for 2-tracks. :D

Thanks moresound!

--

I created a facebook and twitter account. Next step is to add them to my signature and my website's contact page :cool:

If your recording 2 tracks live using someones mixer, route the vocals only to say the right, and then the rest of the band to the left.

This will get you 2 mono tracks instead of stereo.

Then at mix down set pan back to the center and set your faders.

Racherik

Thanks for the tip, Racherik :)

Update:
A friend of mine owns a local venue where they often track live shows. He invited me to come down and pick up a couple projects and we're going to each do a mix and compare. He said if he likes what he hears, he'll have me mix future recordings. Either way, he's letting me use this as a demo on my website. I'll be picking them up Wednesday morning :cool:

I'm excited. I've worked for him before and he liked what I had done on previous recordings. Should be fun!

Back