Struggling to promote my music on my own. Advice would be appreciated :)

dude7691

Hey guys,

I'm a fairly new producer. Started about 3 months ago and have gotten to the stage where I feel like I need to market my music some more rather than spend 100% of my time dedicated to beat making. Just wanted to check firstly, is my music any good? I'll link my soundcloud below (with my best beat imo), otherwise marketing it is pointless if I'm just marketing bad music and need to spend more time in the studio working on my beats. I appreciate your knowledge here as some of you have years and years of experience and know what works and what doesn't. Feedback on my beats and also how to promote effectively and at relatively low cost would be much appreciated. Please note I mostly make my own sounds and use some sample packs; I don't like using expensive plugins and such. Thanks! :)

Soundcloud link: Edit, couldn't post link as I'm new here. Type "Will Brandrick" into Soundcloud and you'll find me :) My best beat is called "Cold Humour".

I repley because Im wondering the same!

I searched the song cold humour. Sounds nice but a bit energy in the song will be nice.
The variation is nice! like the sound that starts around 30 seconds.

I just posted a track on youtube (i cant posted links yet).

You can find it as: VB emergency!

Good luck and lets hope for a answer to youre question

Thank you man! I just saw this reply sorry for the late one back. Thank you I appreciate that a lot, I made those sounds myself as well :) Spent a lot of time learning sound design lately and i feel it's paying off. Yeah it's been a while since I produced that and I've since got better kicks and 808s to help bring more energy into my tracks, although this beat was meant to be very chill and not be too "in your face" if you get me :P

Just post some comments (about 4-5 I think) and you'll be able to post links, makes getting feedback much easier.

I tried searching for your beat but I couldn't find it, I'll DM you now and see if you can send me a link that way :)

Thank you very much, and yourself.

The market is saturated with amateurs, all of them vying for a handful of listener's attention.

It would seem the question would be -- What are you doing different from what's already out there?

So many artists are making huge money with videos. They make a funny well produced video, or a sexy one, just something cool and they make more money off of youtube ads than they do selling the CD!

You're a needle in a haystack. I believe getting lucky and having a video go viral is your only chance at quick success. I think you make roughly $4,000 every 1 mill views.

Good luck!

Hey guys,

I'm a fairly new producer. Started about 3 months ago.

Three whole months in and you're getting discouraged?
An old school Italian would smack you on the back of the head and say, "What the hell's the matter with you. Quit being a retard"
:D

Seriously, music or anything else self created is hard, and hard work....and time.

I didn't listen to your stuff, so have no idea if it's good or crap, but having good music is a start.
You have to hone your skills, and network, build fans, allies, make relationships with people that are an asset to your career.
You can't expect anything overnight.

And getting famous on youtube? Hah! Making money on youtube? Hah again.
They've changed their monetization policies.
You have to have quite a youtube audience to see even a penny.
Use youtube as just another outlet, but don't expect anything from it.

I know a younger producer dude. He has a job , actually two, but also makes money doing beats. He sells beats to rap guys. 200 bucks a song. He does well and makes 500 to 1,000 bucks a month. But it took a year or so to build up the connections for that.
He works at his families restaurant, then cleans carpets in offices in the eve, then goes home and fires up FL and makes beats. It wouldn't suprise me if he bought a house by the time he was 25.
But the kid hustles! He works hard and long hours.
In todays music business it's hard, but it always has been. However, today the marketing possibilities and potential are greater than before. But you gotta put in the work, and thats more than just making beats

3 months in. You're just getting started. If you work real hard and in three years you see no change, then get discouraged. But now?
No way. Just get to work.
:D

Last edited:
Reactions: TAE
So many artists are making huge money with videos. They make a funny well produced video, or a sexy one, just something cool and they make more money off of youtube ads than they do selling the CD!

You're a needle in a haystack. I believe getting lucky and having a video go viral is your only chance at quick success. I think you make roughly $4,000 every 1 mill views.

Good luck!

More like $400 for a million views.

Cover lots of bases, put music on many platforms, make music videos, play live gigs, meet other musicians and network with them and getting a manager can be useful

Back