Starting a label

dogbiscuit

I'd like to start my own label. To begin with I just want to use it to distribute some of my own stuff online so it's just a hobby for now really, but I'd like to think it's something which could be developed in future.
First I need a name. I have a few in mind. The problem is, how do I know if a name I choose has already been taken by an existing label? The chances are that every name I have thought of has already been used. Is this a problem? Is it compulsary you have an original name? Although it's a hobby for now, I want to do things right. Is there somewhere like a directory or something for this sort of thing?
Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

Don't confuse a label with a distribution system. Two different things.

For example, you can be on (insert name) label and have Warner distribution.

Of course, if you're talking local distribution where you just take your CD's to see if shops have a locals section or something, then that's cool.

You could simply Google the desired name for quick results. Most any record company is likely to have a website. If you find that it's in use, then go back to the drawing board.

If you don't find it, then you can also check with the patent office to see if it has been registered as a trademark:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=ts3n4r.1.1

That's admittedly still no guarantee it isn't in use by someone, somewhere.

Promotion

Distribution is just getting stores to buy it. Maybe stores only buy from the major distributors. Your label gets in with a good distributor and there you go.

Don't take my word as gospel though. This is just how I understand it.

Yeah there seems to be many crossover terms in the business. The way I understand it is that the label is the core of all activity, the part that organizes everything, makes the phone calls to all the other relevant organizations such as manufacturers, distributers, etc. As I wouldn't necessarily need a distributer for releasing material online then that is something I can do myself as part of my label (in theory!).

Back