Soundcloud To Renew or Just Go Back to the Basic Plan?

DM60

My Proplan Account is getting ready to expire, not sure if I should look for somewhere else or pay for another year. It is not much money to renew, but I get so few hits, I don't need the full amount for storage, I don't market/promote. About the only thing I do use is the replace file feature and the feature that allows to group songs together.

Any thoughts, better places? Options and opinions welcomed.

If you don't use it that much mate just go with the free version. If you run out of space you could always register another free version. I have a couple.

I'm not 'well up' on the good sites to use anymore.....so I offer no alternates.

What's the purpose of your SC account if you don't market/promote, just a place for people to go listen? Use a Reverbnation or Bandcamp account.

I got a monthly proplan account pretty much exclusively for the replace file feature too. I like to tweak old mixes every now and again and I liked that I could just replace them as and when rather than uploading a new mix each time.

The only annoyance is that they charge us Europeans in Euros, so I pay almost as much in bank charges each month for the currency conversion as I do for the proplan.

I haven't tried any other platforms. For all it's faults I've thrown my lot in with soundcloud and momma didn't raise no quitter...

I got a monthly proplan account pretty much exclusively for the replace file feature too. I like to tweak old mixes every now and again and I liked that I could just replace them as and when rather than uploading a new mix each time.

The only annoyance is that they charge us Europeans in Euros, so I pay almost as much in bank charges each month for the currency conversion as I do for the proplan.

I haven't tried any other platforms. For all it's faults I've thrown my lot in with soundcloud and momma didn't raise no quitter...

Right now is is only $50 for the year. Since I don't post anywhere else, I will probably keep it. Like you, I am always tweaking and this just makes it simple and easy.

Thanks all for the inputs.

To be or not to be, that was not the question ;)

I know you get more space by paying, but really- 'tweaking mixes'? It's that much harder to delete the existing version of a song and upload the new version, compared to 'writing over' the old version?

I'm so glad you told me that, the charges have been really annoying me also! I even went into my bank and told them to drop the charges and they basically looked at me like I don't have the right to tell them that, they are idiots, making money off struggling musicians lol anyhow my pro unlimited runs out in a couple of weeks and I realised that I don't even need the pro account anyway because basically I only have one album's worth of material and don't really want anything more than that on there, including my weird music...that's saved for another profile that I've not created yet :D

My Proplan Account is getting ready to expire, not sure if I should look for somewhere else or pay for another year. It is not much money to renew, but I get so few hits, I don't need the full amount for storage, I don't market/promote. About the only thing I do use is the replace file feature and the feature that allows to group songs together.

Any thoughts, better places? Options and opinions welcomed.

I'm in the same situation and honestly I don't think it's worth having the pro one unless you need more than 2 hours worth of material or you are a professional and massive major record company with thousands and thousands of releases, or an archivist.

The only reason why I upgraded to Pro was so that I could replace and existing song with a revised version without losing the comments/ likes. I am quite annoyed with the restrictions they put inplace like only 2000 follows allowed and a limit to the amount of groups you can add a song into and most recently I found was told to stop liking so many songs!!! ....control freaks for sure!!! Not going to renew my yearly subscription.

The only reason why I upgraded to Pro was so that I could replace and existing song with a revised version without losing the comments/ likes. I am quite annoyed with the restrictions they put inplace like only 2000 follows allowed and a limit to the amount of groups you can add a song into and most recently I found was told to stop liking so many songs!!! ....control freaks for sure!!! Not going to renew my yearly subscription.

Hum, did they give you a reason they didn't want you to like so many?

Hum, did they give you a reason they didn't want you to like so many?

I'd guess that it's because loads of soundcloud users just indiscriminately 'like' hundreds of songs at a time without even listening to them as a means of trying to get those users to reciprocate and actually play their stuff.

I see this kind of 'hollow' interest quite often when I log on - I get a notification to say that someone's followed me, but the play count on the homepage says that nobody's listened to anything on my page today or yesterday. A day or so later they unfollow me because I haven't followed them back or liked any of their stuff.

It's an anti-spam measure as there's no real reason why you would need to follow more than 2000 people or 'like' more songs than you could have actually listened to in whatever timeframe you've been clicking through them.

I'd guess that it's because loads of soundcloud users just indiscriminately 'like' hundreds of songs at a time without even listening to them as a means of trying to get those users to reciprocate and actually play their stuff.

I see this kind of 'hollow' interest quite often when I log on - I get a notification to say that someone's followed me, but the play count on the homepage says that nobody's listened to anything on my page today or yesterday. A day or so later they unfollow me because I haven't followed them back or liked any of their stuff.

It's an anti-spam measure as there's no real reason why you would need to follow more than 2000 people or 'like' more songs than you could have actually listened to in whatever timeframe you've been clicking through them.

Yea, I kind of thought that as well. I just thought the person making the statement would respond to see what they were doing to get that kind of warning.

Why would there be no need to follow more then 2000 people?

I disagree about users having a 'hollow' interest, users don't need to listen to a song before liking it. Sometimes I don't have time to listen to the song when I am viewing new additions, there are many reasons why a user would like a song without listening to it.

I usually, but not always listen to the song before liking it and even commenting on it sometimes, If I recognise an artist that I have been following for a while then I will usually just 'like' their new addition without listening to it purely based on the fact that I appreciate their previous contributions.

What do you guys think about the restriction sound cloud have in place to prevent adding a song into a limited number of groups?

Back