Soundcloud alternatives/copyright laws

Meiklejohn

I'm just wondering what people use other than soundcloud...

I've pretty much had enough of working hard to get a good mix and it sounding great (to my ears), putting it on soundcloud and hearing the dog shit version they produce on your page.

nimbit, bandcamp and reverbnation are the only ones I've heard of other than soundcloud. Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know the copyright laws of putting out covers? If I was to put a cover on for download for free, is that okay? I'm assuming because I'm not making money out it I don't owe the label anything?

Thanks ??

If you upload WAV files and watch your master bus compression, then soundcloud's compression/conversion isn't too bad.

There's also 'soundclick', but I've never used them.

Re: the Copyright - if you cover somebody's recording, you need to sort the rights out. The fact you're making no money doesn't change the law. What to can do is make taking action a bit pointless. If you have no money, and are not making any money selling it, then sensible legal advice advises that action can be the wrong thing - because you can;t get the proverbial blood from a stone. That doesn't make it legal, it just makes it something perhaps that it's not worth worrying about. However, it's not yours to do with whatever you fancy, legally and perhaps morally. You can produce the CDs yourself, but here in the UK, for instance, you could not get a proper replication done at a bigger plant without clear copyright statements.

For my very small organisation, we run a download service, with payments by paypal, hosting the music on a rented server that can run the back office to allow secure downloadable products, and it works well, and people get the files to download, rather than stream. Streaming is the quality killer as bandwidth is the critical bit.

Get your own website and host your songs there.

Plus 1 for this. It's really the only way to ensure you have full control over your files. (I personally upload both mp3s and flacs in case some audiophile wants completely lossless versions)
(As to where to get a site, I may know a guy...)

Soundclick used to be really popular in this forum, but seems to have fallen out of vogue.
Bandcamp is pretty high fidelity (you can download flacs), but I'm not sure if the "preview" version of a song is the same.

As to covers, IANaLB Harry Fox is.

Last edited:
Back