Should I submit 30 songs to a free songwriting contest?

Paganinio

This contest held in China(where I live) is absolutely free, no matter how many songs you submit. About 12 people will be awarded cash prizes ranging from RMB 10,156 to RMB 101,560, and the champion will get a record label contract(hooray!). They MUST have underestimated the songwriters in China. I write more than 100 songs so will I have much better chances to win by submitting 30 songs? I mean most talent hunters should want to find someone who can write more songs than others, especially when my songs are not worse than theirs. I have seen someone submitting 5 songs in a single day.

Paganinio said:
This contest held in China(where I live) is absolutely free, no matter how many songs you submit. About 12 people will be awarded cash prizes ranging from RMB 10,156 to RMB 101,560, and the champion will get a record label contract(hooray!). They MUST have underestimated the songwriters in China. I write more than 100 songs so will I have much better chances to win by submitting 30 songs? I mean most talent hunters should want to find someone who can write more songs than others, especially when my songs are not worse than theirs. I have seen someone submitting 5 songs in a single day.

I would imagine that it is quality, not quantity that they're after. If someone is submitting a lot of songs (like that other guy with the 5 per day that you mentioned) and they are all "bad" songs, I would think the judges would start to get predisposed against that person. But I'm not a talent judge and I don't live in china. Just my two cents. :D

It's also worth checking out what happens copyright-wise. If by submitting your music you relinquesh the copyright, it might not be wise to submit all your best work. I don't know how those things work there, but in the States, many song contests will just take your music: i.e. Limp Bizket's guitarist auditions and the "Duck" duct tape song contest.

Not like that would really matter. China doesn't really adhere to the concept of intellectual property rights. Tons of bootleg CDs and DVDs are made in China.

Back