Selling your CDs at the local trendy music store?

J

jokerone

Every large city has a trendy area with at least one music shop that caters to independent music. In St. Louis its University City area and Vintage Vinyl. I spoke with the owner there and he was quite happy for me to bring my music in on consignment. I'm wondering if anybody else has had any success or failures like this they would care to share?

thanks.

(PS, now I only have to finish something for him.. ) :D

there are a half dozen Boston area vinyl/trendy music shops. One of them in Dedham is operated by an ex-bandmate/friend (he stole about 150 of my vinyl albums back in the day).
I can't imagine people walking into any of these places, seeing a CD by an unknown on the shelf and buying it without hearing it. Maybe if the shop is playing it and they like it, they might ask about it.

I've got about 6 copies of my CD on consignment at a couple local music shops. I doubt anyone will buy them (and one store hasn't even shelved them yet).

there are a half dozen Boston area vinyl/trendy music shops. One of them in Dedham is operated by an ex-bandmate/friend (he stole about 150 of my vinyl albums back in the day).
I can't imagine people walking into any of these places, seeing a CD by an unknown on the shelf and buying it without hearing it. Maybe if the shop is playing it and they like it, they might ask about it.

The place I was talking about has a listening area where you can listen before you buy.

I've got about 6 copies of my CD on consignment at a couple local music shops. I doubt anyone will buy them (and one store hasn't even shelved them yet).

cool, well give them a chance. Hopefully they will.

Well that's good, but what's going to make someone listen to your CD or any CD from someone they never heard of?

And therein lies the problem... unless it plays in the store, or is somehow featured on display, you're going to have to be lucky.

Hey Thanks Mike, I know of many trendy shops but wasn't specifically hip to any that allowed consignment or more helpful highlighting local artists they like. Do u happen to know specific ones?

Not for my own work, but just info to have on hand for others. For example, my wife subs for a very popular local world band that has a nice following. Some local people will recognize them and they will sell a few and have just that type of expectation, as just another small exposure source.

Hey Thanks Mike, I know of many trendy shops but wasn't specifically hip to any that allowed consignment or more helpful highlighting local artists they like. Do u happen to know specific ones?

Not for my own work, but just info to have on hand for others. For example, my wife subs for a very popular local world band that has a nice following. Some local people will recognize them and they will sell a few and have just that type of expectation, as just another small exposure source.

Consignment? No, sorry no idea if any of them would do that. I woudl think anyone would have a better shot at selling CDs at a gig rather than having them at a music store.

Consignment? No, sorry no idea if any of them would do that. I woudl think anyone would have a better shot at selling CDs at a gig rather than having them at a music store.

The one I approached seemed quite happy to. This was a large store with plenty of shelf space, so that may be part of the reason.

Back