Selling a Single

CZA

Thanks for the feed back Brad. Thats one thing I was already thinking about. I don't really want to charge for the CD, but like you were saying about the label and jewl case inserts it gets expensive. Even if I sell it for a buck, I don't think thats too much for what the song is really worth not just me, but to the people who are touched by it. Brad, Thanks again.

Another thing, I've registered at MP3.com. So I'm just waiting to see if they approve of the song and I'll be able to post it up for some feed back from all you wonderful people.

I was just wondering what i have to do in order to sell my original music. Do I have to get a license to do so? I was thinking of selling a single I made of one of my best songs, and i was thinking if i should charge people for it. I'm not trying to have my hopes high saying its as good as the ones they play on the radio or sell at the local music stores. I was just thinking that I can sell it for $2 or something, mainly the cost of the CD it self. And plus I want to see if people actually appreciates all the time and effort i put into making the songs. I just want to see if the people want to hear more from me. I think it would be a boost of confidence, cause lately I've been getting dicouraged thinking that I should quit doing what i love to do. I realize that I have a long way to go, but then again i have so many planns ahead of me. I appreciate all the help anyone can give me.

First I recommend you post an MP3 of the song you want to put out as a CD demo single in the MP3 Mixing Clinic Forum and get some peer opinions. Maybe someone can give you a few adjustment pointers if it's needed.

More to come later most likely.

And don't be discouraged... It sounds like you haven't been at it for very long anyway?

This is a different situation entirely, but what the hey...

Last year, a co-worker of mine was leaving the job, moving on to bigger, better things. I work with a bunch of musicians and one guy had the idea to write a song for this girl, a novelty type song highlighting things having to do with her and the company, funny memories, etc.
So we wrote and recorded the song and we gave her the CD on her last day. It was meant to be heard by just her and the people who musically contributed, but somehow it ended being played for the whole company. Everybody started requesting copies, a total of about 30 people wanted a CD. To make a long story short, I didn't really want to charge everybody for them, but the cost of discs and the labels, etc. start to add up, so I made all of the CD's and put out the announcement at work the day before I brought them in. I put the stack of CD's on a desk with a box next to it with a sign that read "The CD is free, but donations for packaging costs are greatly appreciated." Some people put in a couple bucks, most put in a five and a couple people left some blank CD-R's in the box. It worked out great.

Like I said, different situation, and probably not the best way for you to do it, but I guess my point is, when you don't come right out and set a price for something, I think most decent people will try to offer what they can, especially other musicians or those who know that you put some blood, sweat and tears into a product. Also, make it look as pro as you can. If it is a disc with a white paper label with handwriting on it, people will probably not want to pay for it.

Hope that helped in some odd way.

Brad

Back