Securing Rights for an Artist Name.

Resurrect

Now here's a question:

I'm looking to use the name "Resurrect" for my artist name. As far as I know, I am the only other quasi-public artist attempting to use this name. I found several people on SoundCloud with the same name, but they all had such an unprofessional presence and incredibly low fanbase that I think it's safe to say there won't be any conflict. Can more than one artist use the same name? And how do I legally secure a name. If "Resurrect" is already claimed, that's fine. I'll find a different name.

Would getting a DBA at my local county courthouse do the trick? Is there someone else I should register with? And how do I find out (other than Google searches) if there is another group using this name (besides the one with the same popularity rating as me in Texas)?

I just started thinking about this because I read that the group Flyleaf was originally gonna call themselves "Passerby" but found that another group was already using that name.

I'm only worried about it, because I don't want to have to change my name two years down the road when someone with the same name pops up on the radar.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
You would trademark the name. I'm not sure of the process or the cost. a DBA would not protect the name. An LLC might, but maybe only in the state you live in.

Consult an attorney. Usually a 'business' name is registered in a state-by-state business. Do you think you're going to be "famous"? BTW, 'Resurrect' is hard to pronounce when sh!t-faced, so I hope you're not making club music!

Consult an attorney. Usually a 'business' name is registered in a state-by-state business. Do you think you're going to be "famous"? BTW, 'Resurrect' is hard to pronounce when sh!t-faced, so I hope you're not making club music!

"Famous"? I don't really know if that's what I'm shooting for. A career in music, most definitely. I'm currently going to school so I can be an optometrist as a means to support my music. I'd love to be famous, but I don't know if my music will make it big or not. But hey! I can dream! :)

As far as Resurrect being a long name... Yeah. Kinda hard to say if you're drunk, but I'm not (currently) playing in pubs. So... shouldn't be much of a problem. And hey, the aforementioned Flyleaf played in pubs when they called themselves "Passerby" and that's gotta be a heck of a lot harder to say when you're drunk. ;)

IANaLb... Pretty sure trademark is the way to go. Although the existing projects with the same name might make it hard to secure.

Alternatively, Resurrect is a pretty generic and unmemorable name. You should REALLY pick something different.
1. resurrect.com is already taken. If you can't get your own .com, you have picked a bad band name.
2. You'll be difficult if not impossible to google. Every time someone looks for your band, they'll mostly find churches.
3. There are other projects with the name. Why risk the conflict?

Back