RockBandSites.com

Mull

Hi, folks. When I get some more music done, I plan to have a site build, sell mp3's, and maybe some other merch. I researched and found the cost of hiring a web master/ builder along with server space to be very expensive, so I researched some of the builder sites.

I came across RockBandSites.com and was wondering if any of you had experience with them. They have unlimited storage data and bit rate limits if I'mnot mistaken. They also let you use your custom URL if you've registered one. This is all for a really nice price. Af any of you have used them, please share your experience. Thanks

hrmmm I've never heard of them. I'm not sure exactly how they set things up.. if it's like a portal that you can update yourself or if they just give you a template.. either way there's positives and negatives.. but mostly negatives.

it's cool that's it's soo cheap but there's a few things to consider.

#1 if it's just a template you still have to put everything together.. you'll have to know some code, you'll have to know how to upload it. You'll have to take care of your own domain name etc.

#2 if it's portal type site that they set up for you (i doubt it at 4$) then you're pretty much stuck with whatever design.. you'll be able to change a certain amound of pictures and text and that's it.. You're site won't really reflect your music.

Basically what i'm saying is it will look like you went to a band site picked a site outta a bunch and slapped your name on it. It almost defeats the purpose of having your own site if you're gonna do that you might as well stick with a myspace page.

pm me, perhaps I can help you out. I'm starting a graphic design company and we're actually hoping to focus alot on the music industry.. providing solutions to bands, labels etc that will fit their budget. We should talk.

actually i looked it over again and this site will cost you in the long run

You're looking at around 179$ per year.. so if you keep your website up for 3 or 4 years that's 717$ that's actually alot of money..

if you do the cheap 4$ version it's alot cheaper 60$ per year but even that adds up and you'll be stuck with a shitty www.rockbandsites.com/yourbandname address which is even shittier than myspace because at least people know what myspace is.

I would suggest you pass on this.

Why don't you just register an account with GoDaddy and then hire some free lance college student or something to design your site? You're wanting it kind of on the cheap, right?

actually i looked it over again and this site will cost you in the long run

You're looking at around 179$ per year.. so if you keep your website up for 3 or 4 years that's 717$ that's actually alot of money..

if you do the cheap 4$ version it's alot cheaper 60$ per year but even that adds up and you'll be stuck with a shitty www.rockbandsites.com/yourbandname address which is even shittier than myspace because at least people know what myspace is.

I would suggest you pass on this.

I understand that in the long run, it will cost more than having someone custom build it with a server, but I cant afford to pay it all at once right now. I checked with an old proffessor and he said it would be over $800. You can PM me with an offer if you're interested. Thanks.

Why don't you just register an account with GoDaddy and then hire some free lance college student or something to design your site? You're wanting it kind of on the cheap, right?

I'll be going with GoDaddy no matter how it gets built. Yeah maybe I should check with web design students. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just did a promo photo shoot for a band whose drummer is a graphic designer. We agreed to exchange services...I shoot them and she will help me make a logo and get a design for the site (I can code HTML/CSS but am just not that visually creative). Might be worth posting a Craigslist article to see if something like that would work for you?

I'll be going with GoDaddy no matter how it gets built. Yeah maybe I should check with web design students. Thanks for the suggestion.
I don't know that I'd recommend GoDaddy. Sure they're pretty cheap, but they supplement that by selling your information to advertisers (snail-mail, not spam).

Shop around first.

again one of these sites that are well shitty..

no offence to you.. if you like the service that's fine..

to be honest none of the templates i looked at seemed decent at all..

If you wan the free site then you have the stupid ads

If you don't want ads it's like 50$.. not soo bad but you don't even get a unique domain.

it's minimum 100$ to get a unique domain with a sub par looking site.
(i just bought a domain name for 10$ so you're paying 90$ for a crappy template and a domain name.. seems a little like a rip off)

and like i said before if you keep the site for a few years it's 2-300$

I'd say this is a bit better than rockbandsites.com though..

but for 2-300$ you could easily get a designer to do a really nice 2 or 3 page design for you.. actually that's about what i'd charge for a simple band site. (mainly cause i know how broke bands are.. i'm in one after all haha)

I don't know that I'd recommend GoDaddy. Sure they're pretty cheap, but they supplement that by selling your information to advertisers (snail-mail, not spam).

Shop around first.

shit i never knew that..

haven't delt with them yet.. don't think i will after hearing this

I've used doteasy.com in the past good service.. fast.. and sometimes they have great deals

+1 do you have any HTML literate friends? I've got a buddy working on a site for me.

The plus side is it's costing me exactly one bottle of Dalwhinnie 18 Year, which I've been told I'm expected to split with my buddy.

The downside is since he's not a "pro," it's pretty much a "when he has time" venture, and since he codes for the DoD and gets flown around a lot, and drinks like I do, we've been sitting on a 3/4 finished site for months now. :p That's fine by me though since I'm nowhere nere finishing my album. :D

I mostly just use the site as a FTP to host files for elsewhere... I use http://www.1and1.com, which is quite reasonable.

Aside from the cost of paying someone to design it and the cost of the domain name, no one is addressing the cost of server space. High quality takes space. Anyone know how much 1TB would be or how to go about shopping around?

shit i never knew that..

haven't delt with them yet.. don't think i will after hearing this

I've used doteasy.com in the past good service.. fast.. and sometimes they have great deals

I've been using Godaddy for the past 4 years with no problems at all. Domain & hosting. Pretty fast, pretty reliable, so far 0 downtimes since I registered. No spam either lol

Aside from the cost of paying someone to design it and the cost of the domain name, no one is addressing the cost of server space. High quality takes space. Anyone know how much 1TB would be or how to go about shopping around?

holy fuck

what the hell do you need 1TB for?

again one of these sites that are well shitty..

no offence to you.. if you like the service that's fine..

to be honest none of the templates i looked at seemed decent at all..

If you wan the free site then you have the stupid ads

If you don't want ads it's like 50$.. not soo bad but you don't even get a unique domain.

it's minimum 100$ to get a unique domain with a sub par looking site.
(i just bought a domain name for 10$ so you're paying 90$ for a crappy template and a domain name.. seems a little like a rip off)

and like i said before if you keep the site for a few years it's 2-300$

I'd say this is a bit better than rockbandsites.com though..

but for 2-300$ you could easily get a designer to do a really nice 2 or 3 page design for you.. actually that's about what i'd charge for a simple band site. (mainly cause i know how broke bands are.. i'm in one after all haha)

I don't pay $2-300.

I get my dotcom's for $20 each through

http://www.reserveme.com

Reserveme has a redirecting service as part of the deal, where you can redirect your dotcom to whatever website you have your stuff at. If you can find some free webspace somewhere... without a banner ad... then it would only cost you $20 a year for the dotcom.

Since I have two dotcoms... I pay $40 a year for the dot coms, and then another $50 every year for the website. Total of $90 per year.

I haven't spent as much time as I should on my website, but with a little imagination (and Photoshop, illustrations, etc.), you could make their sterile templates look really nice by adding pics, illustrations, logos, backgrounds, and the like. You could also add a message board, blog, and some other stuff.

Oh well, no offense taken. Just wanted to give you more choices.

You're right you could pay someone to do a nice website for you, but you would have to rely on this person every time you wanted to update the website. With the one I use.. it's is easy to update it (such as a blog, for example) whenever I feel like it.

Best in your search...

A while ago Microsoft did something where you could get a free .com, and they had payment options too, if you needed more space. It ended up very cheap even at the high price point. You might want to look into whether or not they are still doing this.

I've been using Godaddy for the past 4 years with no problems at all. Domain & hosting. Pretty fast, pretty reliable, so far 0 downtimes since I registered. No spam either lol

Yeah, that's mostly been my experience as well. That's why I'm not sure if I can recommend it. Sure they've been a solid provider, but the junk mail is really obnoxious.

I know this thread is a few years old but I've dealt with RockBandSites.com for the past few years and I like them very much! I wasn't happy with free or other paid sites. The free sites didn't have the features and the paid sites were 3 to 4 times more expensive. I pay $5 a month for RockBand and pay $10 a year to GoDaddy for a domain name I get pointed to my RockBand website..

I don't know any HTML but got my site running fine. It gives you the option to use HTML or not.
Whenever I've had questions, someone helped me within 24-48 hours or less. I've quit and re-joined with no problem, due to band break-ups. You do a one week free trial to see if you like it. There are a lot of features you can add or disable.

You can also sell your music electronically or physical CD via easy Paypal set-up.
I really like RockBandSites and think its the best bang for your buck when you're on a budget but want a place to show your music to family and friends, etc. Just buy a domain name for your band and have it pointed to your RockBandSite so you can whateveryouwantname.com

Back