Questions on My Music Page?

Do you think it is wrong to give away Free downloads of your music.

• Yes, it appears to have more value if you charge.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No, its a good way to get people hearing your music.

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
Site looks nice.

I'm of two minds about giving stuff away. I sell my shit for charities, so I actually want to sell it. But I don't make any personal money off of it. If I weren't interested in the charity aspect of it, I'd just give it away.

looks clear and concise to me...

i know what Gregs saying...im not sure about anything being free, i think its different with your hommies in here because lets face it most of us have a say in how our music gets there..

id be tempted to either put a price on it, even if its nominal, or add a donate button....even if folks ignore it??

but the site looks good and the navigation all worked for me

what or who did you use for it?

I think the red ALL CAPS and the yellow and turquoise text take away from the look-and-feel of the page. I'd stick with the color scheme evident in the other narrative sections of the page.

Otherwise, from a usability standpoint the page looks good.

I think the red ALL CAPS and the yellow and turquoise text take away from the look-and-feel of the page.

Good point maybe I'll tone that down since everyone is navigating the site well, it doesnt need to be so In your face. Thanks for all the replies.

what or who did you use for it?

I went with BandZoogle, I did all that with the basic plan 9.95 a month or 99.00 for the year. I thought it came out pretty good for a cheap site. It has more than enough stuff, I'll ever use.( I still have to add some photos) Includes a store to collect to paypal, and includes the domain name. The site builder is dirt simple. The songs play at 360mp3 quality. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Pete

I went with BandZoogle, I did all that with the basic plan 9.95 a month or 99.00 for the year. I thought it came out pretty good for a cheap site. It has more than enough stuff, I'll ever use.( I still have to add some photos) Includes a store to collect to paypal, and includes the domain name. The site builder is dirt simple. The songs play at 360mp3 quality. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Pete

thanks, I think Ill go down that route too when i get back from the UK....not that I need it, not that I need anything...I just want one too lol

Yeah I want a website too but don't know how to do it and aint paying no one for anything, so I'm fucked.

The songs play at 360mp3 quality.

Make sure you do the MP3 conversion yourself. I found the compression they use causes some weird warbled sound.

You can edit the upload quality by clicking on the OPTIONS tab for your site wide or Audio player, and then Uncompressed. This will allow your songs to play the way they were uploaded without compression.

Site looks good!

Jimmy

Make sure you do the MP3 conversion yourself. I found the compression they use causes some weird warbled sound.

Jimmy

Thanks for the help and checking out the site. Your site looks good too, nice and simple. Nice studio!

Yeah I want a website too but don't know how to do it and aint paying no one for anything, so I'm fucked.

Too bad Geocities is shut down, or you could use that.

The preview links on the front page are probably unnecessary. I clicked on one of those and then wondered why the song stopped 30 sec in!
Is there a pop-out player? I'd like to be able to navigate the rest of the page while listening.

Too bad Geocities is shut down, or you could use that.

I clicked on one of those and then wondered why the song stopped 30 sec in!
Is there a pop-out player? I'd like to be able to navigate the rest of the page while listening.

Lol, I like your site better, I guess you get what you pay for. I like everything I have on my site except for what your saying.

There is a site wide audio player, but its a bar at the bottom of the page, and theres no menu to pick the songs. Pretty cheesy format, and it cant be changed.(no options) It would be nice to browse the other pages with the music playin. I put in a question to see if upgrading contains a better site wide player IDK.

Last edited:
The site-wide player is always a tricky question. There's, I'd say, 4 common ways to go about it.

1. The terrible (old MySpace) way - You embed your player on every page so that it restarts on each page load.
2. The Ajax (new MySpace/Facebook Wall) way - you embed the player on your front page, and instead of having your fans go to different pages, you load new content onto the current page with each click. This is bad for SEO if that concerns you.
3. Pop-out player - You have a link on every page that, when clicked pops out your player in a new window. This is what we do, but we have had some complaints.
4. The frames way - you embed your player in a frame at the top or bottom of the page. When the fans click a link it changes the other frame and not the audio player frame. (I don't think this is good for SEO either.)

Back