question about copyright!! help plz**

saikit_2003

i got some questions about copyright my song and how to promote it

I am not actually study in a music school,. i just wrote a rock tune. it sounds pretty kool...people like it.. i am actually living in a small town. i was wondering how to promote it, then other can here. I was wondering if i can just send my song to the local radio station here,....
did anyone try before?? and do they care?? or they will really put your song on the radio???
However., my song doesn't have copyright.....how can i get the copyright, and what's the requirement and right to get it????

help :confused:

The short answers:

You don't have to register something for it to be copyrighted (though its not a bad idea if you're serious). Just slap the copyright symbol and the year you first published it (essentially, showed it to anyone) on any physical copy of it, and you'll be good. (Of course, I'm not a lawyer - if you want guaranteed answers, you have to pay for them)

Participating in formal music education pretty much has nothing to do with hanging out here (some people went through it, some didn't, no big deal), so don't feel akward about that.

Don't bother sending it to the station, unless you have a professional-quality recording, and the station has a show for "local music." It costs BIG money to get played in regular rotation.

The best way to find out if you're friends and family are just being nice :), is to post your song on a site like music.download.com, and let people download/rate it. There's certainly some luck involved here (like whether the editors grace you with an "editor's choice"), but it'll give you some idea of where you stand.

Read articles at places like cdbaby.net (http://cdbaby.net/derek/) and http://www.indie-music.com to start getting a feel for the market.

Most radio stations only play "locals" if they get a ton of requests for it. Get everyone you know to bug the crap out of the DJ and you might get on the air a time or two. Some NPR (National Public Radio) stations have amature programing so you might want to try them. College operated stations sometimes have amature programs too. Most big stations only play things sent to them by major labels or through their network.

Back