PRS and Royalties

Michael O'Regan

I'm now getting some radio play which I'm thankful for.

I've been filling out the application forms for the PRS here in the UK.

What does it mean that I transfer the rights of performance over to them? Does this affect my ownership of the songs and copyright?

I'd be grateful for any info.

I am not a lawyer but this sounds like you will be signing over rights that you may want to get checked out with a LAWYER!

A lot of performers have signed over rights to get started and regretted it later.

DO NOT sign anything until you have it checked professionally.

You may be signing over the future broadcast rights to your performances or more.

I'm now getting some radio play which I'm thankful for.

I've been filling out the application forms for the PRS here in the UK.

What does it mean that I transfer the rights of performance over to them? Does this affect my ownership of the songs and copyright?

I'd be grateful for any info.

I'm not too sure what you mean by PRS.
But when you transfer the rights of performance your basically transfering the ownership of the Performing Rights copyrights to them. Which means you cannot perform the work live without their consent. It should not affect your ownership of the sound recording itself.

Who are you transfering your rights to anyways??

PRS is the Performing Right Society. In the UK they are responsible for collection and distribution of royalties to musicians and composers.

I'm wondering how do I collect royalties for my work without joining?

PRS is the Performing Right Society. In the UK they are responsible for collection and distribution of royalties to musicians and composers.

I'm wondering how do I collect royalties for my work without joining?

I'm pretty certain if the PRS is our BMI or ASCAP equivalent, you will have to join to collect royalties. It is free to join and they are trying to help you collect your share.

This pdf has a little definition of performing rights.

http://www.entertainerlaw.com/pdf/music_pub_101.pdf

I'm not sure why they would ask you for your performance rights to a certain song or songs. I figured they would want you to keep your performing rights and everything else that comes with authorship.

Either way, congrats on the radio play. :) I just hope people are listening!

good luck, eric

Yea they do. The performing thing is a non-exclusive deal to allow them to collect in your behalf and its probably the same over there.

Back