Is it pointless to start promoting our our band without our CD?

Robertt8

Our bands CD should be in our hot little hands in about 3-4 weeks (tops). Obviously, we're all gung-ho to start contacting people...should we wait until we actually have the CD to push/review/buy? Or should we start bugging people now and then send off the CD when we get it? Part of me wants to do that, but i'm kind of afraid it's crying wolf, and talking up something that technically doesn't even exist yet...they wouldn't even receive for another month.

I guess I'm probably better off collecting a data base (if you will) of contacts in the mean time so we can go out with guns blazing when we've actually got the CD...

Any thoughts on this?

Robertt8 said:
I guess I'm probably better off collecting a data base (if you will) of contacts in the mean time so we can go out with guns blazing when we've actually got the CD...

Good idea.

My plan of attack would be:

1. Figure out who you're going to contact. Zines, venues, etc.

2. You might wanna throw up posters like "Look for the debut album from JOJO AND THE MUPPET KILLERS available this December." A few prior to release.

3. If the list is huge, start calling them a few days before you'll be sending them to plant interest.

4. Send stuff.

5. Weeks prior to release, you should be planning a CD release party. Preferably a big affair with other bands you know that have a similar fan base. Gigging before this to get your name out would be a good idea.

6. Throw the CD release party. Big big concert fun time. Maybe sell the CD's a little cheaper than you ussually would. I dunno. Go nuts.

I went through all this from May this year until, well... up till today still sending out stuff.

I plan to do it all again next year, with album number two, but next time I'll do it better and er..'plan' better.

Thing is I think to resist the temptation to 'release' your album in a half-ased way just becasue it's fresh from the plant and in your hand and you want to get a reaction. Let it sit in boxes a while until you are properly ready to send it out - after all this is what the majors do - they wait till the timing is right and everything is in place.

I'm gonna go for the big bang approach to maximise impact next time. So this will involve having the press releases all printed, the envelopes addressed and stamped and ready to go (up to 300 of them if this time is anything to go by!). I'll allow 8 weeks pre-release time because some of these reviewers take at least that long to open your envelope. That means the official release date I'll tell people will be 8 weeks ahead of when I send the stuff.

If you're a gigging band/artist (I'm not now but hope to be next year) it goes without saying that you should line up in advance a coordinated series of gigs to promote the CD at the time of its release and shortly after.

There'll also need to be 'news' release sent out to all the places just a week prior to official release date.

Then there's the email campaign, using the email list you've built up over time.

All this is a major headache, even for a band with many members, let alone a solo artist.

I'm sure there are loads of things i haven't mentioned, but the main message is have a plan try not to be too haphazard.

I may fail to do it all at the right times, just due to the sheer amount of work, but at least it's something to aim for.

Good luck.

This is all great stuff! I think we could learn a lot from you! We're trying to plan, but we're all so new at this, we're kind of not really sure what needs to be sent to what people at what places. Sure we've got ideas and thoughts, but "Who" do you send the stuff too? What should it say? Obviously the PR needs to be taylored to many different avenues. We were thinking of this sort of list as far as different general press releases (let me know if we're off)...

1. local radio stations
2. events (to play live)
3. local entertainment magazines

um...what am i missing? I'm assuming we're not sending stuff to newspapers n' stuff like that are we?

anything you can do to help would be killer!

Firstly I'm no expert, I'm still finding out about all this, just i know now i would do things in a more disciplined and planned fashion next time.

With regard to 'who' to send it to, you need to research carefully, use the net.
What i did is to search the net to find independent artists who work in the same genre. After all there's no point in sending my singer songwriter rock ballad type stuff to dance/techno/house/rap people!
From these identified sites i looked at where they had got reviewed and where they had obtained airplay. Then I visited those sites and looked under the contacts,help, or FAQ page. Here it will usualy state their reviews policy (how they like to recieve stuff and so on).
If you can't find this after very careful searching (sometimes it's not easy to spot, look right down at the bottom of the home page for a very small 'contact' link for example), then email them a polite note asking if you could please send them something, etc. and asking for a name and postal address. Keep it short.

These days I refer them to my website in case they have a few minutes to look, but you have to be confident that your site will sell you and not be counter productive.
Often by this means you'll get back the name of an individual, which is good.

I think a hit rate of about 20% is considered to be fair, that is for every 100 albums you send out for review maybe 20 or so will get reviewed.
However, with more careful targetting it should be possible to improve on this. That's where careful research comes in.
To explain, I sent copies out to major publications, even though i knew there was little to no chance of getting a review. My thinking was if you don't send a copy to 'Rolling Stone' then there's no chance at all of anyone there picking it up, whereas if you do send one there's a tiny freak chance that it might just find its way into the right hands. A bit like the lottery ticket thing, if you don't have a ticket you certainly won't win. In any case what does it cost? $3 maximum for a copy of the CD a letter, envelope, and stamp - worth a try in my book. Send a copy to Timeout, Rolling Stone, UNCUT, etc and then forget about it - have no expectations.

Of course I'm assuming you can afford to 'waste' all these copies and postage, if you're on a very tight budget you'll have to target especialy well and decide whaehter its worth sending copies to these large publications, it's your call.

Oh, the 'links' pages of websites was also a great source of places to send copies. You know how it is, one link leads to another...
Here's a good one to start with http://www.indiepages.com/linkszines.html

As far as getting gigs goes I'm not really qualified. It's all a bit of a mystery to me. The clubs all seem to need you to guarantee to bring along a crowd, but I'm just starting out so how do i get a crowd without playing somewhere first, and I can't place somewhere because i don't have a crowd, chicken and egg scenario! But at our level if you want to sell CDs you need to gig IMO.

As far as broadcasting goes you are lucky in the USA becasue you have the netwrok of college stations who will play unsigned artists and bands. It's much more imited in the UK. Recently I've been concentrating on sending stuff to podcasters. The audiences are small but at least someone hears your music, which is the whole point isn't it.

Feel free to look at my site and visit some of the places where i got reviewed and airplay. Assuming your genre is compatible.

If you have specific questions email me.
Got to get back to work now!

Back