New prog/alt rock album "Between the Lines"

Pinky

and The Brain...
HR.com has always had a special place in my heart, it was the first site online that I started learning the craft of making music with software many years ago. I post this only to share the then --> now progress I've been making. Guest vocals on 3 of these tracks is none other than HR's own DM60 (David Meeks), with vocals on another track by a long time friend and collaborator Scott Watts.

Hope there's something here for you to enjoy :) .

https://theboogeymen.bandcamp.com/album/between-the-lines

I've been simultaneously recording a pop concept album (Scott's inspiration) that is about 2/3 complete, and will probably topple this album as my 'best' effort. That one I'm really eager to get into your ears.

Last edited:
Track 1 sounds familiar - have you posted it in MP3 clinic?
Track 2 starts like a lost Rose Tattoo track - very 80s rock vocal - a bit of the Cult maybe.
6000 years - cool but the vocals are a little wet for me.
Rare Earth sounds like VHS' band. The phrasing on the vocals seems a little out occasionally but it's a 1st listen - I'm sure tey'd grow on me.
There's a touch or mid period REM to the vocal melodies and phrasing - that's not a criticism just an observation.
Good work Pinky; ambitious and mostly successful.

Thanks a lot for listening Ray. :) [always respected your thoughtful replies and opinion in the clinic]

Yes, track 1 was with DM60 (David) and was posted a while back in the MP3 clinic, likely the only song I've posted in there in some time.

David's vox are often compared to REM/Stipe's. I think it fits some of my more quirky compositions perfectly.

I'm working on my vocals and slowly getting a grasp of their strength/weaknesses. Notice I didn't post a disclaimer for the first time (usually something to the effect "these vocals are rough, sorry!" lol). They're getting better. "Wrong Side" was the last track worked on, and it was the closest I could get what I was hearing in my head (for vocals) to translate.

A very competent and professional album. Very well produced!
"Elaborate Ruse" in my fav track. Has that heavier and more abstract prog that I love. Could've been longer though. :D
Great job!!

cheers

Back