need to contact tom waits,quentin tarantino

clevodrummer

Tascammer
dig this...

i have recorded a song that is perfect for a quentin tarantino screenplay...i know he would grab this tune right up..its of a spaghetti western genre and all of my peers have told me to do this...only problem is its the same chord progression of a tom waits tune, so i need to ask tom if this would be o.k. with him....

i cover some tom waits tunes and they go over well....but no b.s., this tune is destined for a tarantino movie...

tried websites, etc... anyone have any ideas how i could make my dream come true and pay off some bills along the way?

thanks..

smart asses are welcome

dig this...

i have recorded a song that is perfect for a quentin tarantino screenplay...i know he would grab this tune right up..its of a spaghetti western genre and all of my peers have told me to do this...only problem is its the same chord progression of a tom waits tune, so i need to ask tom if this would be o.k. with him....

i cover some tom waits tunes and they go over well....but no b.s., this tune is destined for a tarantino movie...

tried websites, etc... anyone have any ideas how i could make my dream come true and pay off some bills along the way?

thanks..

smart asses are welcome

What do you need to contact Tom Waits for??? A chord progression cannot be copyrighted, even if it's the exact same chord progression. It's the melody that matters.

No one can copyright a chord progression, just melody and lyrics, so no need to contact Tom Waits.

Find a publisher who has contacts in the film industry. Or try Variety.com to see if tarantino is making a new movie.

Oops, Rami beat me to the punch. That's what happens when your 9 yr old distracts you because he desperately needs the Beatles Twist and Shout mp3. :(

what if i steal the melodies but use completely different chords..huh? well caught you all out there!

:D

and yeah..lets here this tune :)

clarifiaction

I should have directed my question in a different way regarding "chord progression."

As this is half dream, half serious, one never knows the potential outcome.

as a tom waits fan, i realized right away my song is simply his tune sans vocals and i perform all instrumentation... my dream would quickly turn into a nightmare if i were lucky enough to have my song in a tarantino movie, and tom waits were sitting in a theatre watching it and heard his/my song and said, "jesus christ, who is this prick that stole one of my tunes and got it in a tarantino movie."

its not the legalities, but the fact that we all know the sweat and blood left all over a chart of a song we write.

to have someone steal it and call it their own would raise our blood pressure, tighten our fists, clench our teeth, and we would want to choke the life out of the bastard... i cover tom waits tunes because they are really worth covering and i cant get them out of my head;.... and if i dont get them on tape, i have severe headaches.

i did find that tarantino has a myspace page so i will try to get ahold of him.
i have that much confidence in the tune and the mood it would set in a tarantino spaghetti western.....

if anyone remembers waits sued frito lay company for ripping off his song "step right up," and won..... i always hated fritos, but if i liked them, i would have stopped buying them after they stole his song...

if nothing happens and its just another dream, i will post it...

clevo

as a tom waits fan, i realized right away my song is simply his tune sans vocals and i perform all instrumentation...

I think your answer is right there...it shouldn't be such a perplexing thing for you. You've basically bastardized a Tom Waits tune and are now calling it your own.

See...that's the danger with spending too much time on someone else's tunes...eventually, they get in your head and you start to come up with variations on them without even realizing (though you obviously do realize that you basically copped one of Waits' tunes).

It's easy to take someone's great song and make some revisions to it, since they've already done the hard part of creating it from scratch.
Go write something truly original...you will feel much better about it.
icon14.gif

got that right

yup, you got that right...i am working on some originals of course...always do, but you nailed my own thoughts exactly, especially when you noted "someone else did all the hard work.."

clevo

icon14.gif

I've found myself occasionally “morphing” something off of someone else's music without realizing it....and then when I do, I quickly toss it out and move on to something else.

The last thing I want is to knowingly (or even unknowingly) do a song that is a derivative of someone else's work...and then to have people say:
"Nice song...you know, it sounds very much like a _______ _______ song." :eek:

I would feel like a thief who's been caught red-handed! :(

:D

I wouldn't want Tom Waites coming after me! I bet he has some spooky friends, too.

One or more of those northwestern metal/grunge/whatever bands had a regular practice of playing black sabbath tunes and then improvisationally morphing them into something else - I suppose the end product was sufficiently different from where they started so as not to be an issue.

Maybe keep playing it and start morphing it?

Back