Need advice on music distribution platform for hobbyist

Hugo Huijer

Hey guys,

I hope this is the right sub for this question. I see a lot of people just asking for feedback on their songs, but I would strictly like your advice on possible music distribution platforms.

I'm a small time musician, and have been making music for some time now. I am finishing up an album, which (ofcourse) I want to put out there for as many people to hear. I don't have the ambition of getting 10000's of hits. I only want my music to be easily available, for friends, family and others. Easy sharing.

In the past, I have used Soundcloud and Bandcamp. I am a big fan of Bandcamp, and love the way their platform works. The problem with bandcamp is that people outside of recording music don't generally know bandcamp and are therefore less likely to click on the links you share.

I have also seen that it is possible for me to put my music on spotify, iTunes, apple music.. You know, the big guys nowadays. Even though virtually no one knows of me.

The idea of having my music on there sounds appealing ofcourse. Therefore, this question. Has anyone been in the same situation? Which platforms did you choose, and what would you choose if you'd be in my position?

Thanks!

This will get you on the bigger digital distribution sites, and it's a one-time fee unlike many of the other companies offering this service:

https://www.catapultdistribution.com

Fwiw - If people aren't willing to listen to free steaming samples on bandcamp it's unlikely they'll PAY for the music elsewhere (Amazon, iTunes, etc only offer brief samples for free).

Promotion is the holy grail. There are all types of methods for getting your music out to all the download sites, but none of them actually promote your music, they just distribute it. Promotion is up to you. You can pay promoters, but most likely you won't get a return on your investment.

This is where record labels still have a hold on the industry and can thrive. They have a big budget for promotion and get a return on it.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not really expecting any return on my investment. I just thought those big distribution sites would make it easier for people to actually listen to some of my songs. But appearantly not, I guess?

Maybe I'll just stick with bandcamp.

I'm now looking at the catapultdistribution site, and it looks good/great. I'll definitely try that one, as I'd be happy to spend 25$ to see my album pop up on all the major streaming services. Thanks!

In terms of just having your music be available, Bandcamp is probably your best bet these days. As a bonus, you can offer your music as a free download in exchange for an email address, which can potentially help you promote later.

You can also point your own domain name at the bandcamp so that people won't notice that it's bandcamp immediately

Back