My new single (and getting a killer tone without mic'ing a cabinet)

victorlee335

Hi, first of all, my new single "Second Chance" just released yesterday! It's a progressive rock guitar instrumental music. If you dig Dream Theater, Pete Thorn, Satriani, and etc, you might enjoy this!

Also in case you like the guitar tones in this recording, I wanted to talk about how I recorded guitar tracks for this song using a load box and impulse response. With a great deal of help from Suhr and Peter Thorn himself, this method is being informed to many home studio musicians- but if you haven't had a chance to hear about it, I'd like to introduce this innovative way of recording guitars.
In short, what you need is a good reactive load box to load down your tube amp and take a line level signal out of it. Units I recommend are Two Notes Torpedo Reload, Rivera Rockcrusher, and Suhr Reactive Load (I use the Suhr box.) Then from the line out jack of the load box of your choice, it plugs into your audio interface. In your DAW, you can load up your favorite impulse response files using IR host plugins. If you have Logic, you already have one: Space Designer. Just set the input all the way down and have the output level at a desired point (-5~7db usually for me.) A lot of company make great IR files. I love Ownhammer and Redbox ones myself. The one I used for this particular song was Ownhammer Bogner 4x12 with V30s and Marshall 4x12 with Scumback M75s.

Impulse response is like a digital replication of a certain setup. Usually those big companies generate IRs using top of the shelf mic-pre, microphones, poweramp, and etc. I find this method sounding much better than me trying to mic up a cabinet in my closet with a 57 and a condenser. If you've got an amp you love and doesn't have a space to mic up a cabinet, this is a great "silence" way to do it. Time saver, space saver, money saver down the road.

Or Soundcloud for those who prefer this

Song is available at
iTunes: https://itun.es/i67q46D
CDBaby: Victor Lee | Second Chance | CD Baby Music Store
BandCamp: Second Chance | Victor Lee
GooglePlay:https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Victor_Lee_Second_Chance?id=Bfce322fimajh2e4bjdviaaqr2q

Thanks for reading and have a great day :)

Last edited:
Back