My Band was on FOX's Next Great American Band

It seems like they've ditched the genre idea and are now doing artist theme shows. Tonight is Bob Dylan, and supposedly next week is David Bowie. Definitely better than the genre thing.

To be honest, the producers of the show don't seem to know what the hell is going on. They just throw money at stuff at the last minute and hope it flies (literally - we got our airplane reservations just hours before we were scheduled to leave).

The 2nd episode is on tonight at 8PM EST. I hope the kids win. I'll probably stop watching if they get booted off. They were cool, their parents were cool, and they gave us a shoutout on the main site (nextgreatband.msn.com). Plus, they rock!

When are they going to do the pavarati show?

Yup...welcome to reality tv. A bunch of mindless moron "producers" that think a good tv show is made by just changing one word in the show title and throwing a bunch of random money at random people to see what happens (the shows are successful only because people have been trained to love them some reality tv...argggh! haha)

Not suprised at all with how unorganized and clueless they were... it doesn't take any bit of skill to do television anymore because of how little goes into making shows like that... The only people who become producers of these types of shows know which dicks to suck in order to get their success.

How about some more publicity for you?

Cheers.

l_83b5bc0a5785bbf922bb910709bc9ba1.jpg

Haha, yeah, that show is going to be awesome! We're dressing up as Milli Vanilli and playing three of their songs, dance moves and all. We're even including the infamous skips in "Girl You Know It's True"!

Congrats on getting on the show. There's no such thing as bad publicity and anybody who says it's a waste of time is a shoe gazing douche bag.

That was a fun show. Kind of ridiculous to learn three Milli Vanilli songs for one show, though. Oh well. Maybe it made us better musicians somehow?

Carrie Underwood looks like an exception to the reality TV music thing. I don't think she will quieten down any time soon.

shit, that daughtry guy sold over 3 million copies of his album, and he wasn't even the winner. i don't think he even cracked the top 5. in short, i think it's ludicrous to say that being successful on a TV show such as that won't help one's career.

yeah, and guess what? he wrote ONE song on his album. he is from the next town over. people here LOVE him, as they do fantasia barino, or however the frick you spell it. she is a piece of work.

a

yep they'll sell 3 million copies right out of the gate because it's what America is fixated on for 12 seconds, untill the next new shiny thing comes along...then they spend all their money on stupid shit, funds dry up, people give away their copies of the album to a thrift store or sell it in a garage sale, and they're just another washed up hack who had their 3 minutes (15 minutes is even to long) of fame.

Flash in the pan success is always that way...it goes just as quickly and unexpectedly as it comes...and you have no loyal fan base that has built up over time, so you utterly and completely fail, and your name is tainted forever...so in the long run, winning one of those shows is more likely to kill your serious music career...unless you want to do tampon adverts and nickelodeon's music awards until you die of a heroin overdose.

Not dogging anyone on this board, but I've yet to hear anything in the clinic that comes close to the vocal talent of any of the winners. I know I can't sing like that. Chris Daughtry has probably written a higher percentage of his published music than Alan Jackson, and AJ has had quite a lucrative and long lasting career.

Any of us who works a day job instead of what we'd really like to be doing is a sell out, and we didn't need reality TV to do that. There have also been many "15 minutes of fame" artists out there without the help of reality TV. Sure, reality TV sucks, but any vocalist who wants to work for a living would be stupid not to try if they had the opportunity.

Beats your run of the mill day job, and if you have a short lived music career it's still more than what you're going to get with a fucking MySpace or Soundclick account.

Would any professional engineer/studio owner here refuse real work because the artist was a reality show winner?

EDIT: Reality TV doesn't make people suck, that comes from within.

Hell, my band is definitely trying out for the show again on the off-chance they renew it for another year. Free band trips to Vegas rock, and so does being on national TV, even for a few seconds. It's not selling out if you keep doing your thing, and tell the producers to fuck off if they try to make you do otherwise. Then it's just good old rebellious rock and roll!

Ryan
www.flutesquad.com
myspace.com/dirtymarmadukeflutesquad

Hell, my band is definitely trying out for the show again on the off-chance they renew it for another year. Free band trips to Vegas rock, and so does being on national TV, even for a few seconds. It's not selling out if you keep doing your thing, and tell the producers to fuck off if they try to make you do otherwise. Then it's just good old rebellious rock and roll!

Damn right! You guys do what you have to. :)

Life's too short to get hung up on whether or not you're selling out.

Just think, if Britany didn't sell out, she'd be poor white trash instead of rich white trash. Sure being stupid will always suck, but being poor sucks worse. :D:D

Back