music distribution...

grn

ok, say I have a final CD in my hands, they've all been pressed, they are shrink wrapped and have bar codes on 'em... how in the hell do I get stores to pick them up and distribute them? I know all of the local independent record stores in my area (record exchange/plan 9) will sell them for me, there's about 10 to 20 total in virginia/north carolina, but say I want them to sell on the east coast. what do I do? how do I get it started?

Best bet would be to get in touch with a company that distributes world wide. YOu could check out metropolis and such. I know that some companies like Oasis offer you a deal where they will sell your cd on various websites if you get your cd pressed by them. Honestly, it's hard to get national distribution. The best way is to get backing from a label.

CDBaby.com is a good place to sell independent music. There's a small set-up fee. It also helps if you have a website to point people to places they can buy it.

But yeah, the real trick is getting people to buy your music. Play shows, do interviews, send the discs to radio, etc.

k, I'll try it out. the only thing that may present a problem is, how do I get people to do interviews with us.

People have to have an interest in your music.

You could put up a website and give it away but if no one likes you or has never heard of you, why would they want it? You just have to generate interest by playing a lot and hopefully people like your stuff and word gets around.

Well, I guess another way would be to have a famous sister.

Do you have a famous sister? If not, then you'll have to stick to the old fashion way.

Cd Baby in a heartbeat
You need to get it on your own site
Mail to trade publications that do reviews....look they are easy to find
Local papers and ent rags
You need to play showcases and invite every media person you possibly can then give them copy and a postcard with pic/website info/contact info etc

The only way you are going to get major distribution is to creat a buzz and creating a buzz means you have to work your ass off to be seen. If you pressed 1000 units count on giving away up to 500. You might think of it as product that needs to be sold but at this point its also your only major means of advertizing.

I'll try to keep you informed as to how this pans out and what I'm doing. We'll see if anything can't come of it... it'll be a nice experiment.

Here's an idea: find out who the DJ's are on the most influential radio stations in your area. (the big ones that the smaller stations follow) Try to meet them and kiss up, pay them off, whatever it takes to get on their good side, then get them to play your cd on their station. If you have picked the right ones, soon all the other "follower" stations will be playing it also. ;)
I have never done this myself, but I've heard of it being done to great success. :)

Also, give a copy to all your friends and family and ask them to spread the word around about your cd. I have been surprised to find out just how many people my friends and family know, or who have another friend that has "friends in high places."
Who knows, your aunt Ethel may have given one of her homemade pies to the president of the largest record distributer in America, who would be more than happy to handle your new album, in exchange for another pie. :D

Back