Music is a cruel mistress

We're all different. As the French say, "Viva la difference!" There is no drug, no high, no experience for me that beats the exhilaration and adrenaline rush of stepping out in front of 100s to 1000s of people. One of the funniest things that goes with that, is my built-in shyness. One on one with people, I'm very shy and usually un-talkative, but in front of a microphone with an instrument between me and a crowd, I just come alive. It's like coming out of a cocoon.
:o + :guitar: = :thumbs up::D

We're all different. As the French say, "Viva la difference!" There is no drug, no high, no experience for me that beats the exhilaration and adrenaline rush of stepping out in front of 100s to 1000s of people. One of the funniest things that goes with that, is my built-in shyness. One on one with people, I'm very shy and usually un-talkative, but in front of a microphone with an instrument between me and a crowd, I just come alive. It's like coming out of a cocoon.
Lol. I'm just the opposite, maybe that's why I get nothing out of gigging. I'm not shy or nervous and don't need attention or a public stage to be self confident or outgoing. I usually shut down because I don't really want to be there. I don't watch any other bands and I don't socialize. I just play and leave. But at practices or in the studio, I'm all in. That's where it's fun for me. Relaxed, no structure, no worries, no hassle, no expectations. Just playing because it's fun. I tolerate gigs because it's just part of being in a band and it seems like everyone else thinks they're great.

I'm far happier and more comfortable on stage than anywhere else ...... and the more people the better.

I still have fun playing for small turnouts or even an empty room because for me, it's the act of playing that I love.

But lots of people is more fun and tens of thousands of people is the most fun of all!

I think the reason I like it better than recording is the challenge ....... there are no do-overs.
Everything is first take ....... in the studio even crappy players can sound good ...... but live, crappy players sound crappy and if you sound and play good it's because you are and not because you fixed it by comping 46 tracks.
So for me ..... that's where the fun lies ....... coming up with stuff on the spot without even time to think about it ....... I really enjoy that.

NOTE: .... don't get all excited if you feel the opposite.
I'm simply stating what works for me and not making any judgements concerning what you may or may not prefer.

Lol. I'm just the opposite, maybe that's why I get nothing out of gigging. I'm not shy or nervous and don't need attention or a public stage to be self confident or outgoing. I usually shut down because I don't really want to be there. I don't watch any other bands and I don't socialize. I just play and leave. But at practices or in the studio, I'm all in. That's where it's fun for me. Relaxed, no structure, no worries, no hassle, no expectations. Just playing because it's fun. I tolerate gigs because it's just part of being in a band and it seems like everyone else thinks they're great.

That describes my attitude about live performing (and public speaking) 100%.

---------- Update ----------

Take this is nicely as you can... those are symptoms of some type of social disorder.

I hear that. I thought it was going to be fun playing shows as a young man, but it ended up being only somewhat fun. Working with other musicians always seemed like a ticking time bomb. Who's going to pull some bullshit next or get too drunk to play. I also hate most people anyway. I'd rather stay home and drink :D

Please take this as nicely as you can... you're fuck'd. :D

Take this is nicely as you can... those are symptoms of some type of social disorder.

No one is completely sane. I'm happy with my psychoses. Just the right mix of social (sales floor retail) and solitary (working on music 3-4 hours a day). :D
Does the internet count as both solitary and social?

Does the internet count as both solitary and social?

Yes.

But really, your personality shouldn't change that drastically (and in the reverse of what would be considered psychologically 'normal'). For an introvert to experience stage fright would normal. Stage boner, not so much.

[obviously I'm just latching on to a small portion of your post, and you seem to understand this isn't 'personal' in so far as I don't know you, at all... so no malice intended here ;) ]

Please take this as nicely as you can... you're fuck'd. :D

It's just a fun hobby for me. So, I'm not fucked in any way. Most musicians I've met, no matter how much I liked them or how close of a friend, are still very flakey. You got to be able to dish out a bunch of bullshit and put up with a bunch of bull shit. Not only is hating everyone tons of fun, but just staying home and drinking gets way more bang for the buck.

Back