Motor City Maniacs Demo songs

Philly Duffy

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum as a member but have read many great posts over the years.

I've been recently working on a new 6 song EP for my band, but just can never seem to get a great mix. I've been wrtiting/recording on and off for about 20 years and would appreciate any feedback you could give.

Thanks

Check out my latest mix for VIP below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDFFZ3TBScE

Not exactly my musical style of choice these days (being an old fart & all). But listening over my Altec pc speakers w/ sub, I think it sounds pretty strong. It's got a strong bottom-end and I can hear the vocals and guitars without strain. What specifically is your source disappointment with it?

I used to be in some bands wherein we tried to be maniacs, too - but that was 45 years ago. Ever hear of the band "Detroit"? Bandmates, friends & acquaintances of mine include Iggy, Rob Tyner (MC5), Steve Hunter, Sam Lay, John Lee Hooker, Jimmy Cotton, 'Wolf, etc. But that was Grande days... long gone.

Sorry for the digression. RRS - Ramblin' Retiree Syndrome (afflicting millions nationwide).

Sounds good. Keep at it.

This is exactly my type of music. Monster Truck and Scorpion Child are in rotation in my car weekly.

Sorry dude, I don't want to critique your stuff. It's way too fucking awesome for that. I love everything about every tune I just listened to.

Instant fan. I'll buy your album day 1 if you're going to release something.

Absolutely killer.

Thanks for the feedback guys much appreciated, i'm glad you guys like it.

I recorded it in my basement with Logic Pro 9 with a Tascam US 1641.

What i specifically hear when i put my mixing up against CD's i've purchased is that they just have some presence or power that i can never seem to achieve. I realize i don't have all the equipment as a big budget studio but i don't think it's an equipment issue. Probably something in the mastering.

Marshall TSL 100 head for the guitars into a custom guitar i had built that has James Hetfield EMG pickups.

BluIvory, i've never heard of the band Detroit but I'm definitely going to look into on your recommendation.

KindaFishy - wow thanks so much for your feedback! If you're playing stuff like this to send me a link to your goods!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys much appreciated, i'm glad you guys like it.

I recorded it in my basement with Logic Pro 9 with a Tascam US 1641.

What i specifically hear when i put my mixing up against CD's i've purchased is that they just have some presence or power that i can never seem to achieve. I realize i don't have all the equipment as a big budget studio but i don't think it's an equipment issue. Probably something in the mastering.

Marshall TSL 100 head for the guitars into a custom guitar i had built that has James Hetfield EMG pickups.

BluIvory, i've never heard of the band Detroit but I'm definitely going to look into on your recommendation.

KindaFishy - wow thanks so much for your feedback! If you're playing stuff like this to send me a link to your goods!

Hey Philly,

If you would like (much) more critical feedback on your music that is very honest and very detailed, pick one of your songs, head over to the MP3 Mixing Clinic area and post it there. You've got some serious chops and skills, so be sure to leave feedback for other members as well. The clinic is pretty active, but the more people we have helping each other out, the better. We are all here to learn from each other and enjoy each others tunes :).

I am working on mixes for a release, but they aren't all done yet so I don't really have a place I could point you at to hear it in one place. I am part of a band called Music to Murder, and I've posted three of our songs in the above mentioned MP3 Mixing Clinic.

Welcome to the forums.

kindafishy

Kinda Fishy,

Thanks for the advice I'm definitely going to head over to that forum and check out your music!

I'm here to help as much as I can and learn from everyone.

This is an amazing website my only regret is that I didn't join sooner!

Cheers lets crank it up to 11! :)

The missing thing you are looking for? How about trying instead of (for example) -3db on a limiter, doing three limiter masterings. Each doing 1 db each time. Little secret. Try compressing specific things like say bass during intial mix then compress again in the master.

How about dynamic EQ and Dynamic compression. EQ always before the compression in the final master. Try various VST plug ins. Dont use the ame old same old. Compression is not created equal. Limiters always LAST.
All things that often add that 3d oomph to the final.
Whats your mastering chain?

Back