Mixing for free! Preferably indie, folk, psychedelic or alternative music.

jonoh248

Hi there,

I'm Jonathan from Singapore. I have a Diploma in Sound Engineering and absolutely love music. From producing it all the way to mixing it.

I'm a big fan of artists like Two Door Cinema Club, Foals, Muse, Bombay Bicycle Club, Local Natives, Of Monsters and Men, Mumford and Sons, Tame Impala, Temples and the list continues.

I don't have much of portfolio which is why I'm doing this. Here's what I did for my final year project - capeolympia(dot)bandcamp(dot)com. It's a shoegaze style electronic album. Mixed and Mastered by yours truly.

I work with ProTools 10 & 11 along with Logic Pro 10. I own a couple of Waves plugins and I'm always expanding my plugin collection to whatever my budget allows me to. I try to maintain a high quality workflow. That means sessions in 24 bit and 48khz minimum. Any audible distorting is absolutely unacceptable (unless intentional) and a couple of other personal rules.

Let me know if you would like me to work on your mixes. Looking forward to it ;)

Thats really kind of you. What inspired you to do this? I am just curious because I mix for cheap but mixing is very time consuming and I couldn't really justify doing it for free.

Hey JG96,

Nothing in particular, just trying to get some practice and a name out there if I'm any good. Locally in Singapore, there's a very small music scene. So I've taken to the internet to get things done. I'm also on break with a relatively free schedule, so I thought might as well give this a shot. I believe someone I know started off mixing for free with different bands. That seemed to have really boosted his career in sound.

Hey JG96,

Nothing in particular, just trying to get some practice and a name out there if I'm any good. Locally in Singapore, there's a very small music scene. So I've taken to the internet to get things done. I'm also on break with a relatively free schedule, so I thought might as well give this a shot. I believe someone I know started off mixing for free with different bands. That seemed to have really boosted his career in sound.

There's been other threads about getting into the 'biz', and generally free services are hit/miss in benefit as many people see free as a "get what you paid for" situation, where the quality is unlikely to be of very high caliber. That said, I started my fledgling mixing career doing an album+ for a musician I met online and the experience I gained was tremendous, and the mixes I did for him (as well as bass and some guitar playing) really helped bring the quality of his recordings up a few notches. I've done mixes for others with differing results, one guy didn't like the mix even though anyone else who heard it thought it was lightyears ahead of his original mixes. Turns out he had an axe to grind with me. Forums can be fucked up places! :p

Best of luck, it's nearly impossible* to generate a career out of this starting from the bottom without some help from someone with prestige or working for a label.

* this is called a generalization, I'm sure any of us can think of someone who accounts for the .01% who make it on their own, but let's face it - who you know is often twice as valuable as what you know.

Nothing in particular, just trying to get some practice and a name out there if I'm any good.

You do know you're trying to get your name out to a community of mixers, right? Most everyone here prefers to do it themselves. That's kind of the intent of the site....

Just sayin'

You do know you're trying to get your name out to a community of mixers, right? Most everyone here prefers to do it themselves. That's kind of the intent of the site....

Just sayin'
Very true I sure as heck don't want other people mixing my stuff. I would love getting someone with some serious chops to master my music for free but I don't think that will be happening any time soon.

Just sayin'

This is not the only place I've posted the "ad" on. Go easy on me... I'm very very new to how things work in the industry and on this forum (obviously with 4 posts to my name) Just graduated and I'm trying to network as much as possible. The internet is my best bet since my country has a very small, almost exclusive market.

Back