Kunaki, how many CDs did you order?

RAMI, actually Taylor Swift did make a platinum album before the year ended
Ah, thanx man. I stand corrected. I was quoting an article I read some time in November. I guess it took another month for ONE artist to actually do it.

Thanx again. Interesting. I knew this whole "Vinyl Renaissance" was over-blown and over-hyped. That chart puts it all into perspective.

I honestly thought that it was bigger than the chart showed.
Every major electronics retailer in my area has a respectable size vinyl selection now and there are a bunch of vinyl only stores back in Vienna when I lived there.
I also know a lot of people who pay for the vinyl gimmick but would never ever in their life pay 5€ for a film or 20€ for a video game.

One reason why people thought it was coming back so hard is because of bogus statistics like this: https://imgur.com/a/gcHFV

Yes, if you omit the data before 1993, vinyl is making a HUGE comeback...
Never trust a statistic, man!

I honestly thought that it was bigger than the chart showed.
Every major electronics retailer in my area has a respectable size vinyl selection now and there are a bunch of vinyl only stores back in Vienna when I lived there.
I also know a lot of people who pay for the vinyl gimmick but would never ever in their life pay 5€ for a film or 20€ for a video game.

One reason why people thought it was coming back so hard is because of bogus statistics like this: Vinyl Records Sales since 1993 - Imgur

Yes, if you omit the data before 1993, vinyl is making a HUGE comeback...
Never trust a statistic, man!

But, honestly, is it because the statistic is skewed, or is our personal data set skewed? We're musicians and we know a lot of people who like music. Therefore, we see things in a different light than say, someone who doesn't know a lot of musicians or audiophiles.
And not just on this issue :)

The point is, any statistic can be skewed to whatever the person doing the survey wishes by selecting the right demographic.

The point is, any statistic can be skewed to whatever the person doing the survey wishes by selecting the right demographic.

67.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.

But, actually, this isn't a "survey" that can be skewed. It's sales figures.

It can misrepresent the bigger picture if you just choose to omit data though.
Taking 1993 as your reference point for vinyl sales to show how big of a seller they are is like taking the 19th century as a reference point to show how big car sales are up in 2015.

OK, that makes sense. I wasn't looking at it so broadly. I'm looking at a chart that shows a year by year, pretty straight-forward picture of sales figures.

You guys think too much. :D

So I went to two places this weekend. A bar with a local band, and a larger bar hosting an international group, and a local band opening for them. Both had DJs playing music before the bands and between acts.

So I'm wondering if anybody given their music/CD to a DJ as a promotional item in the hopes of them playing it?

At the larger place the opening local band member came around after the gig and handed out credit card size stickers with the band's name/logo on it. I assume these were meant to be stuck in the corner of your rear windshield or bumper. I thought it was a clever idea, and probably didn't cost them much either.

Usually 'party DJs' want music everyone knows or music people can dance to. I gave a copy of my first album to a college station DJ a few years ago, she played a song or two from it. At another college station I did a short live segment (played 2 songs live, 2 from disc). I didn't bother leaving a CD when I saw the archive they had - cabinet after cabinet after cabinet of CDs, all with a little label shwing the last time they had beeen played. Many cabinets of local bands and players, most had never been played. Stacks fo free CDs 'for the taking' on tables in the waiting/lounge areas.

Usually 'party DJs' want music everyone knows or music people can dance to. I gave a copy of my first album to a college station DJ a few years ago, she played a song or two from it. At another college station I did a short live segment (played 2 songs live, 2 from disc). I didn't bother leaving a CD when I saw the archive they had - cabinet after cabinet after cabinet of CDs, all with a little label shwing the last time they had beeen played. Many cabinets of local bands and players, most had never been played. Stacks fo free CDs 'for the taking' on tables in the waiting/lounge areas.

That sounds right. thanks.

Be aware there is a difference in replicated and duplicated CD's

Advantages of Duplication

Fast turnarounds - Duplication is a much faster process than Replication. 500+ duplicated discs with printing can be finished in less than 48 hours compared to about 7 Days for Replication.

No minimum quantity - There are no minimum quantities necessary to place a Duplication order. Duplication can be done with as little as 1 disc! With Replication there is usually a minimum quantity order of 500 or 1,000 discs.

Advantages of Replication

Better playback - Replicated discs are higher quality than duplicated discs. While duplicated discs do still offer great quality, some older cd/dvd players have issues with playing back CD-R/DVD-R discs - you won't run into these problems with replicated discs.

Professional look - Replicated discs have a metallic silver bottom adding to its overall high-quality finish. Duplicated discs have a greenish/bluish tint on the bottom for CDs and purple color for DVDs.

Last edited:
Back