"Jazz for your head" wacky jazz

w1av

Jazz for your head | Bob Ruzzo

Here is an album of some strange off-beat stuff. Less "elevator" music on this one and more adventurous. Recorded in 2013, all-original except for 1 cover tune in there. (Herbie)
I played all instruments except drums.

I think it's the second track - ends abruptly, was that by design?

Good collection of songs. There's the two spacier tracks I thought worked well. Flamenco style was nice too.

Yes, the second tune is supposed to end like that. Some of these songs I like and there were a few more that I decided not to include. I have to listen to them alot and decide whether I want to keep them or ditch 'em.

Doesn't strike me as the least bit "strange", "wacky" or "off beat." Rather, many of these sound like simplified songs written in the style of the 36 year old album "Street Life", put out in 1979 by The Jazz Crusaders.

Not bad, but I think you're over-estimating their eccentricity.

Where's my strange, wacky & offbeat? 4.gif

OK OK OK! I was just listening to a bunch of other music and I guess since most of my friends call this music I have done "strange" then I don't feel so bad. Ok let me re phrase by saying "Here is some simple jazz recorded by myself for anyones amusement."
Now I have to go listen to that Jazz Crusaders album. I did not mean to over estimate anything here, sorry if it seemed like that.

Oh, heavens... no need for you to apologize. I'm just glad you took my comments with a grain of salt (not so sure I would have been capable of doing the same).

No offense intended, either. It's just that I've heard a lot of stuff over the course of my (mumblemumblmumble)-years in the biz and, believe me, it ain't that strange. Nice, but not offbeat. But then again, I guess that "strange", "wacky" and "off beat" are in the ear of the beholder ("be-listener")?

Keep up the good work.

I guess you are right. Strange is in the ear of beholder and it is subjective. But I am just basing this on what other musicians are doing here in my neck of the woods. Jazz is not a big thing. Pop music is pretty big. And 70's rock. But it seems here if you play anything other than "cowboy chords" your music is "strange". I am not interested in anything mainstream. I prefer to do my own thing. And I do it just for myself, for fun. And if somebody hears the music and likes it, then thats good too. I thought when I started doing this a few years back that I was being more original than the others. More creative really because there isn't anyone around here doing what I do. Just re hashes of 70's rock.

But I am just basing this on what other musicians are doing here in my neck of the woods. Jazz is not a big thing. Pop music is pretty big. And 70's rock. But it seems here if you play anything other than "cowboy chords" your music is "strange".

How would you even know that, Bob?

Rhode is land is a very small state. I have been to enough open mics/clubs/bars to see that rock music is the staple. The younger crowd likes pop music and there are some Country and alternative factions out there. Jazz in not in demand here. Of course you could go to Newport or Providence some nights where there might be some jazz. But it is not in demand. I know this because I have lived here all my life and been around to alot of places especially in younger days. It's not hard to figure that out when you live here. Thats how I know that!

Rhode is land is a very small state. I have been to enough open mics/clubs/bars to see that rock music is the staple. The younger crowd likes pop music and there are some Country and alternative factions out there. Jazz in not in demand here. Of course you could go to Newport or Providence some nights where there might be some jazz. But it is not in demand. I know this because I have lived here all my life and been around to alot of places especially in younger days. It's not hard to figure that out when you live here. Thats how I know that!

Ah, see there's a difference between the lack of smoove cocktail jazz and blanket non-acceptance of "strange" music. But whatever.

I like the contrasts you make in tonalities. There's some really nice stuff on this album. Nice work. As an instrumentalist, I can appreciate. But I'm listening to MP3's (I believe. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.) I feel like I'm missing about 30 or 40% of the detail and dynamics. Do you have a SC page I can hear wav. flac or lossless 320 kbps representation of your music?

I like the contrasts you make in tonalities. There's some really nice stuff on this album. Nice work. As an instrumentalist, I can appreciate. But I'm listening to MP3's (I believe. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.) I feel like I'm missing about 30 or 40% of the detail and dynamics. Do you have a SC page I can hear wav. flac or lossless 320 kbps representation of your music?

Bmwerx, I am not sure what these music hosting sites convert uploads to. I have all my files saved as WAV files. I have been using Bandcamp because it is a cleaner less cluttered site. I was using soundcloud but theres too much fluff and crap all over the screen. I dont know if Bandcamp is processing my uploads to a shitty 128 kpbs quality mp3. They don't tell you. Here is an old link at Soundcloud with 3 other albums: https://soundcloud.com/bobruzzo

Back