Introducing you my band

Angelapsis

Hello, I'm a newbie.

I recently started a band a year and a half ago, so you can identify a little with me, I know almost everyone here has a band. We're called Stendhal, we're just 3 buds who liked a lot watching other bands perform live and we wanted to try it. On our gigs we had a "normal" response to our music, but as we kept growing, we just keep playing and playing on gigs, and suddenly got better. I want to share with you the many experiences we have been through our music. We love music, just as all of you do, and we're working on an EP release. This music is not very complex, but it speaks from our heart and soul. hope you like it.

Silence:
Stendhal - Silence [Audio Only] - YouTube

Night:
Stendhal - Night [Audio Only] - YouTube

(Videos are made by me).

"Silence" has some nice Offspring meets Queens of the Stone Age riffing going on, and that doomy ending is very well done. The only nit would be the drummer falling out of the pocket a couple times. Playing along to a metronome/click track might help. Production is adequate but I'm sure as you learn you'll tighten up some of the things I'm hearing. For an early snapshot of the band this is certainly serviceable.

"Night" is full-on QOTSA inspired. The drums have an uneven feel about them, some of the cymbals kinda jump out of the mix in an unnatural way. Everything sounds distant on this mix compared to Silence. But again despite its shortcomings it's good enough as demo material.

I like what I'm hearing. Good rock n roll.

Oh, Thanks a lot for your time man.
Of course it's amateur, but I'm kinda happy with it because, people in my city aren't selling honest music. The majority of people, make programmed drums which I don't find attractive nor real at all, so we recorded 'em somewhere else, with a friend. Another thing that I didn't mention is that, I don't own monitors, don't own a powerful pc, and a not so good pair of headphones, I made all of this in my room. Mixing, recording. So I know it's amateur, and I get your point, but I liked that after all you liked the song. We hope to get better mixers with a good engineer, but for the moment we're recording the entire EP in my room, lol. Thanks again.

Oh, Thanks a lot for your time man.
Of course it's amateur, but I'm kinda happy with it because, people in my city aren't selling honest music. The majority of people, make programmed drums which I don't find attractive nor real at all, so we recorded 'em somewhere else, with a friend. Another thing that I didn't mention is that, I don't own monitors, don't own a powerful pc, and a not so good pair of headphones, I made all of this in my room. Mixing, recording. So I know it's amateur, and I get your point, but I liked that after all you liked the song. We hope to get better mixers with a good engineer, but for the moment we're recording the entire EP in my room, lol. Thanks again.

Many members of this forum don't have good equipment either but manage fine. Mixing is part of the art of making music and takes time/practice. I'm encouraging you to continue to practice, learn how to make the most of what you have, and perhaps buy a low end pair of monitors at least. Your reply is a good explanation for why the mixes sound low fi, but the way you posted it sounds a bit like an excuse. Instead of thinking this is the best you can do, post some of the mixes in the MP3 mixing clinic and try polishing them up using the shared experience of the forum.

"Silence (audio only)"
So a John Cage cover? :D

I can definitely hear the the QotSA influence there.
If you're looking for mix advice and how to improve your production, I recommend posting your songs to the MP3 mixing clinic. You'll get some great feedback there.

Thanks a lot for feedback guys, I would improve everything I can as fast I can, It's just my first attempt on mixing, recording and mastering. Hope to update better mixes soon.

Back