Instrumental Music

Bomer

So, I recently began writing some instrumental music because I have been working by myself and can't sing. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on marketing instrumental music via the internet. I understand instrumental music is not all the same but if anyone has some general thoughts, that would be appreciated.

What kind of instrumental music? Are we talking sleepy dentist office background sounds, or Satriani like shred wankery?

Not really either but I would say more like sleepy dentist if I had to pick one. It's kind of hip hop(non-mainstream) influenced, mainly in the drum beats. I do often have leads going through the songs but they generally aren't crazy Satriani style leads. Partially because I don't want that, partially because I'm not even capable if I did. Usually the leads are synths, not guitar, though I do play guitar and bass and include both in some songs.
In all honesty I'm not really ready to market this stuff yet but I was a little curious being as I have experience marketing different bands I have been in but they have all had vocals. I have never done this style of music before and I thought that maybe someone here had some insight that they wouldn't mind sharing.

I recorded three entire albums of excellent guitar based instrumental music that wasn't sleepy dentist music, nor dirgy flim score music nor boring Satriani shred-wankery...

Never found a market for it though... let me know if you do!

Best comment I had about it was someone who I'd given a CD to who played it at the mental institution she worked at (seriously) and said that the patients liked it because it didn't cause the voices to speak to them... :laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

Best comment I had about it was someone who I'd given a CD to who played it at the mental institution she worked at (seriously) and said that the patients liked it because it didn't cause the voices to speak to them... :laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

You just might have something there!!

For instrumentals, you can try Taxi maybe get placements in tv/movie, etc.... Also try music libraries, Smartsound.com, etc...

Meek style instrumentals

:) With regards to instrumental music, I write and record in the Joe Meek style (Telstar etc) I have recorded two 21 track instrumental albums and they have sold very well. This is because you have to pick a market to aim at and there are a lot of sixties instrumental music lovers out there. One number I composed was for a brand new steam locomotive called Tornado. This cost 3 million pounds to build. Identify the market and record and play accordingly. Lots of companies are looking for music for film and TV. Please visit my web site. Chestnut Bank Productions.

Back