I would like to apprentice... HELP ME

I finally decided where I want to go as a musician, and that is I would like to be a producer/engineer. I've done a little research, and I've decided that it would be better and more affordable for me to apprentice in a studio rather than get a diploma at a school. To do this, I'm going to need to write some letters or something, so I would like to know what you think I should put in this letter. Also, Is there anybody in here who would be interested in having a young eager hand around the studio for a year? If so, let me know. One last thing, I have a particular interest in analog equipment, and outboard equipment, does anyone know of a good analog accessible studio that I should send a letter to?

Thanks, all input would be appreciated.

Rene

The fastest way to get into a studio to learn is by having a connection through someone you know. A lot of studios look for someone with character whom they can trust around clients and very pricey equipment. If a studio manager or an engineer gets a character reference from someone they know, they are more likely to higher you. Networking will be your greatest tool.

A good way to meet the right people who can help you get your foot in the door is playing in a band or mixing live sound at a local club. I was mixing live sound at a club and the keyboard player of the local band I was mixing happened to be the owner of a very productive studio. He invited me to come to the studio take a look and sit in on some sessions.

You gotta be around it and aggressively pursue it every day. It's not something many people just fall into. If you live in some small town get out now and go where music is happening. Be like a sponge and learn everything you can about audio and music.

How much recording have you done yourself, out of curiosity?

I do it at home, and I have been for about 7 years, but never all that seriously. I'm from Edmonton Alberta Canada, it's about 1000000 people big, and has a few recording studios, both of which I have spent time in. One of the guys however, I think is a shoddy engineer, and the other guy might not have the energy to keep up with/ tolerate me, im a pretty crazy guy. Plus, I really want to learn how to use professional analogue gear, and I don't think either of these guys can offer that. I have considered asking either of them, but I've been asking analogue studios in the usa through email lately to see if they will take me first. What are good music cities? Ive emailed places in new york, seattle, and portlan OR.

Back