How to make it downloadable, how to put it on Youtube

Just heard back from my web provider. I'd have to pay $300 a year to make songs downloadable.

A free webhost?

If not, that is utterly ridiculous.

Lots of cheap webhosters have limits. Like max. filesize set to 500 kB or so. An mp3 is bigger, so you can't upload mp3's to your site.

"Unlimited" is a lie.

Pay a decent amount for a good webhost. Less than 100$ a year should get you free from ridiculous limits. If you need more disk space, you'll pay a little more. But not 300$.

I rent a complete server, dual quad core, 100 Mb connectivity (unmetered) and dual 500 GB disks in RAID1 for 40 € per month (excl. VAT). Even a middle of the road VPS shouldn't cost more than 10$ a month. Disadvantage: you need to install and maintain the OS yourself. Takes time and knowledge.

. . . I'm going to say again, perhaps more clearly, that the language of the requirement says it is released for ... for download on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, Bandcamp, or other similar platforms. I just don't understand why others here, well-intentioned I'm sure, are insisting you put it on a personal webpage that IMHO is not one of those similar platforms.
Yep, I agree. The application doesn't say anything about needing or using your own website. I just happen to have one.

Tried it. Didn't work. I'll try Soundcloud.
You may have to edit the default permissions for your files. SoundCloud will behave the same way if you only upload and do not enable downloads in the Permissions tab. You may just have to edit the file/song settings in ReverbNation. I don't have an account there so can't comment on that!

A free webhost?

If not, that is utterly ridiculous.

Lots of cheap webhosters have limits. Like max. filesize set to 500 kB or so. An mp3 is bigger, so you can't upload mp3's to your site.

"Unlimited" is a lie.

Pay a decent amount for a good webhost. Less than 100$ a year should get you free from ridiculous limits. If you need more disk space, you'll pay a little more. But not 300$.

I rent a complete server, dual quad core, 100 Mb connectivity (unmetered) and dual 500 GB disks in RAID1 for 40 € per month (excl. VAT). Even a middle of the road VPS shouldn't cost more than 10$ a month. Disadvantage: you need to install and maintain the OS yourself. Takes time and knowledge.
All good advice.

For $100 a year, I get a lot of space, flexibility, and autonomy. At least, I've uploaded about 120 mp3s and a whole lot of photos without hitting a wall.

Weebly is stupid-easy to work and to make look good, and I get everything I want for about $100 a year. I have 120 mp3s on my site, with no end in sight. Maybe it's not unlimited, but it's giving as much space as I've wanted so far. This download thing is a one-shot, not worth paying to add it to the site, which doesn't need it.

I can't translate all of your last paragraph (dual quad core? connectivity? unmetered?? RAID1? VPS?), but 40€ must be be about $50 a month, or $600 a year. For that much, I'd never think about getting a website. And who knows how to install and maintain an operating system? Not this boy! I just play guitar and write songs.

As I said, it's just obfuscated. Take one look at the html code and there's the link:

Just open the link, or do a "save as" directly.

Some widgets are harder, because they don't show the link as html, but hack it into pieces, usually with Javascript. Like Youtube. But that just takes someone to reverse engineer the obfuscation and make a script.

And then there are the analog and digital holes:

- Analog: listen to the song, re-record it.
- Digital: route the stream to a "recording" tool.

If you want the visitor to be able to hear the song, it will be downloadable.

Like the music, BTW!
This is probably just something I don't know how to do. I can't read a word of html.

The O'Hara foundation probably doesn't want to have to fool with html, either. When they say "downloadable," I'm sure they mean without doing any of the work themselves.

I've posted the song on Soundcloud, which I'll hope is good enough.

I can't translate all of your last paragraph (dual quad core? connectivity? unmetered?? RAID1? VPS?), but 40€ must be be about $50 a month, or $600 a year. For that much, I'd never think about getting a website. And who knows how to install and maintain an operating system? Not this boy! I just play guitar and write songs.

That's for a complete server. Not a hosting account. One server can host a few hundred websites. Well, mine hosts 15 atm :D

But a few of those need heavy lifting and have 50-100.000 visitors a month. Too slow on a typical hosting account.

How to get a direct link to one of your songs in Firefox.

Go to the page listing the file (e.g. Americanarama)
Right-click anywhere and select "Inspect Element (Q)" or hit F12 to open developer tools.
Click the "Network" tab in the window that pops up.
Click the trash can icon to get rid of everything that's already there.
Click the "play" button for the song you want.
In the window at the bottom, you'll see a new line pop up with an mp3 name.
Right click it > Copy > Copy Url

Send them the direct link you now have in your clipboard (e.g.
)

How to get a direct link to one of your songs in Firefox.

Go to the page listing the file (e.g. Americanarama)
Right-click anywhere and select "Inspect Element (Q)" or hit F12 to open developer tools.
Click the "Network" tab in the window that pops up.
Click the trash can icon to get rid of everything that's already there.
Click the "play" button for the song you want.
In the window at the bottom, you'll see a new line pop up with an mp3 name.
Right click it > Copy > Copy Url

Send them the direct link you now have in your clipboard (e.g.
)
I'll file that. I don't have Firefox or right-click, but it's still good to know.

Also, does that consitute a download? I know whomever I send the link to can hear the song, but have they actually downloaded a file into their computers?

Yeah regarding VHSteves post...Using Chrome, but any browser should be able to do this....I right clicked on your home page...and then view source...which takes you the the source code page....I then pressed cntrl F.... searched MP3 and there were 22 results...the second being

src="/uploads/1/3/1/2/13125528/1_kentucky.mp3" So of those 22 MP3 finds in the search 11 of them have the SRC in front of them .....now if you hover your mouse over that section of code (which will be blue meaning it is hyperlinked) and right click on it it allows you to copy the link address...

In this case that address is

I am not sure why the player on your site doesn't have the download button but when you click on the link above ( the blue text) and that player comes up it has the little download button to the right.. You can just play and listen or.....if you hit that download arrow download the song....

So if you sent that link to the folks and mentioned the download button they can indeed download that song or any other song you might want to share with them...I'd look into how to make the players on your site have the same download button as on the link.(unless you DON'T WANT any and everyone to be able to download your songs) me ..I suspect it was just a style cloice when you built the site.... but that will require some googling and head scratching and trial and error.....

Ah the internets! It's a whacky wonderful world....and that code shit makes my head hurt.

BTW

KRAZY-KAT-300x199.jpg

This was one of those cartoons that would TOTALLY be inappropriate in today's modern politically correct world Krazy Kat and Ignat Rat...He'd hit her with a brick and she'd see hearts....Love it is a KRAZY thing

I don't have...right-click
Mac? You can install Firefox, and safari has similar tools (but I don't have a mac so don't know them)
The right click on a single-button mac is to hold the Command key while clicking.

Also, does that consitute a download? I know whomever I send the link to can hear the song, but have they actually downloaded a file into their computers?
That url is a direct link to the file. If their browser doesn't pop up a "what should we do with this download?" prompt, it will begin playing the file directly, and they can save it manually from there.

Yeah regarding VHSteves post...Using Chrome, but any browser should be able to do this....I right clicked on your home page...
Yeah, as I say, I can't right-click. There's probably something in the menu bar that takes you to the same place, but I don't know what.

For the youtube thing. pics might work, or just a black screen, but yeah, it's gotta be a video to be on youtube.

Back