how do you find/'hire' musicians for a demo?

bubbleboy

So I've been in and out of bands for years but struck out on my own so i could really develop my own voice, be a songwriter, get a demo together, etc. I find myself in a situation where I basically don't know anyone who can play drums for me, or piano for that matter. I know I could go on craigslist and find people who probably would want to record for a fee, but I have no idea what's fair for a demo that would promise no royalties, and I want to make sure I'm the sole songwriter on the songs and everything, so i wouldn't want that coming back to bite me in the ass later. this might be a dumb question, but I know i've seen a person or two on the forum mention hiring musicans and i'm curious of the process, the experience, etc.

Like you said, you could probably find people to play for free. For a demo, it's typical that no royalties are collected, so no payment. Demos are used to get the gig or promote a song to a label or publisher. However, even if you do make money off your demo, if you establish up front that the musician is not entitled to performance rights or anything else, then you don't have to pay him royalties or percentages.

For copyright stuff, if you hire musicians, it is considered a work-for-hire relation and they are not entitled to any copyright claim. Besides, you're going into the studio with songs already written, so they are already copyright protected and no one else can lay claim to them.

Basically, you tell them up front, they are just there to play your music. If you agreed to pay them, be sure it is all up front. You pay them for their time, they do their job and go home, you never have to worry about paying them again. ***Be sure to spell it all out in a contract***

I've been on both sides of this issue. As a drummer, I've played on numerous recordings, both as a paid session player and sometimes for free either to gain experiance, get my foot in the door or as a favor. As a song writer, I've had to find singers or musicians to play parts that I simply did not have the right chops for.

When it comes to recording....in particular drums......you get what you pay for. You vcan probably find drummers to play for nothing.....but the end result may be worth just that!

Good drum tracks are a combination of quality drums, tuned well and played well (along with the right mics, a great sounding room, etc. etc.). There are a lolt of "drummers" who can play the instrument reasonabley well......but who don't play steady time, or can't hit the drums consistantly for a smooth track or who can't tune the drums well.....or often, who simply have crappy sounding drums with old beat up heads that won't/can't sound good.

So.......sometimes, paying for an experianced session player - who knows how to play and tune in the studio - is less expensive than paying studio time for tracks that don't groove well or sound good - or - eatiing up costly studio time while an inexperianced drummer trys to make something happen.

Regarding how to find players.....sure you can go on Craigs list, and hope you get lucky......but that would not be my first choice.

I would suggest, go to the local music venues and check out the players in the bands. When you find someone that sounds like he/she has what you need......talk to them during a break or after the gig and see if you can work something out. You could also ask local studios if they can recommend someone....but I find the savvy studios/producers tend to keep thier "A List" players a much guarded secret.

thanks for the input yalls. xdrummer thanks for the advice on drums - being a musician who just hasn't had enough time to dedicate learning the secrets of the percussive arts, I totally overlooked the value of someone who knows how to tune the drums right. looking back on it, it makes me realize how good this one guy in a previous band was at tuning the drums. he was always tweaking them with a key he carried at all times. i'm more inspired and less discouraged now.

I hired a bunch of musicians and singers for my album. Granted it was an album and not a demo, but I got them on Craigslist and paid them reasonable amounts of cash.

Call the union and ask for some names. If you are going to pay guys, get pros. Not free Craigslist wankers.

^^^ That's true but that's assuming a decent budget. I had a slightly limited budget and I still got some pretty good musicians.

Call the union and ask for some names. If you are going to pay guys, get pros. Not free Craigslist wankers.

Just 'cause someone pays union dues....it doesn't mean they are qualified session players. I've worked with many union musicians over the years (and even more non-union musicians).....and the union card did not dictate which were the better players.

Granted, at certain levels (the name session players, symphony muscians, etc) people area required to carry union cards (mainly becuase many of the large venues requre union cards because of all the tradespeople who provide support at that venue).........but those people were likely fine players, doing regional tours or working local venues long before they were "forced" to join the union.

.....which is why I suggested checking out the musicians working in local venues.

This is fantastic post, i am surfing to hire some music. Here i got really helpful information for hiring some music. The tips shared to hire music are also good.

hire musicians

You have to be a bastard to make it, and that's a fact. And the Beatles are the biggest bastards on earth.
John Lennon

Well, if this helps you at this point, i found all my musicians on Youtube, one for free and was excellent recording, another one was good at recording but i payed him some cash, and the last one still trying to get me a first sample before i give him the green light to record everything (this last is a drummer, i think it involves more tweaking and timing).

So that's it, i told all these guys that if i happen to make it big, they are invited (And i'll do it).

Just give them motivation, it can be festivals, labels, or money, good luck.

Just make sure whoever you have play on your tracks sign a work for hire agreement if they didn't help with songwriting. If they did, make sure you get your split sheets in order. It will come back to bite you hard when you least expect it.

Back