Home Recording Studio Setup For Beginners – The Ultimate Essentials Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turn left at the Maximizers. :laughings:

Oops...I'm supposed to be gone. You posted too quickly, I haven't had time to leave yet. :eek:

AmityvilleHorror-GetOut.jpg

I dunno, casual observer here. All I see is an argument.
However anyone claiming to be an authority on something, then disseminating that info on the internet had damn well better be sure that the gospel that is being preached is 100% factual. There is too much bullshit info on the net.

I didn't read the guide, but by the responses of the ones that have read it, it seems to me they are crying foul.

To me personally, the diss on playing real instruments, and that is something just for old guys, (welcome to 2015?????) was totally out of line.

Real musicianship IS where it's at. All this "virtual instruments" is just a facsimile of the real thing.

Implying that playing real instruments is outdated, is blasphemy in my eyes.

Fail.

Last edited:
It's sounding (to all of us here) that you should stop giving advice on things you really don't know about.

ok i'll listen to your mixing tips then since you clearly know better how to mix :facepalm:

Dissing Rami's productions - jeez.....lame.

Sucking rami's balls much? :D

Welcome to RecordingOligarchy.com - Where the friends of the mods can post one word posts, without infractions, and the newcomers are doomed to agree. Join our community!
Aw wait, you can't! The community has already been filled... long time ago.

You might need to search 16.000 posts to find the 500 valuable ones. But at least we can spam the shit out of you, cause we're old! Join Now!

You don't have to agree with everybody. I think that we're aware here that there are a lot of strong personalities on this board but I don't think that any of them are against discussing things.

I personally value that there is a low BS tolerance. I think that it keeps the board together as a tight community and keeps excessive silly out.
I'm personally not the type to crack down on people but I do think that too many members can make a board feel cold and excessively elitist at the same time like Gearslutz.

I also like to believe that the people who's words carry a lot of weight around here got there by demonstration of skill.

ok i'll listen to your mixing tips then since you clearly know better how to mix :facepalm:

Sucking rami's balls much? :D

Welcome to RecordingOligarchy.com - Where the friends of the mods can post one word posts, without infractions, and the newcomers are doomed to agree. Join our community!
Aw wait, you can't! The community has already been filled... long time ago.

You might need to search 16.000 posts to find the 500 valuable ones. But at least we can spam the shit out of you, cause we're old! Join Now!

I just scanned through the first page of your 'guide'. Advice to newbies like you give for headphones for 'mixing and mastering' - without any caveat about headphone mixes not translating well until you learn the nuances (by mixing, then listening on other systems) - will create frustrated newbies.
You seem real good at slinging insults and not being able to take criticism. Maybe you are just too thin-skinned for this place. Where are YOUR mixes?

Where are YOUR mixes?

My Work - Samples

The couple I previewed sounded good. And that is far from the point, it doesn't excuse posting flawed guides and ultimately spreading misinformation. In other words, a good/bad mix does not automatically make everything coming from someone's lips right/wrong. The fact anyone had to go there and start critiquing each other's works instead of arguing the facts just stinks of a lack of professionalism. "Oh yeah, well you smell and my dad can beat up your dad."

The couple I previewed sounded good.
I'm baaaaaaack.........:D

Actually, I didn't want to come back. This talentless hack isn't worth half the time I've already given him. But I got a PM from someone telling me to check out the thread. I'm assuming it's because you said his stuff sounded good? I have no idea. But I'm here and saw this post.

So, I listened to some of his samples. What's he "mixing"? A bunch of pre-recorded, pre-packaged samples? You going to to tell me you can't mix that crap, let alone your 3 year old niece?

Seriously, this is a joke. I wouldn't even care, but since he's the one that took the thread in the direction of "Your music sounds like crap", all I can say is, if this shitty EDM, cookie-cutter, paint-by-numbers dog shit is what "2015" is all about, then thank god I'm just playing the music I like for fun. You can call me old and tell me I'm living in the past all you want. I'll be proud of it if this pre-packaged, brainless, disco-beat fluff that ANYONE can mix is any indication of what this bozo thinks is good. I know I have some talent. This guy doesn't even know what an instrument is and is only able to mix "music" (HAHA!) that's pretty much already mixed for him.Talk about having ZERO talent.

And he's writing tutorials? This loser is the poster boy for everything that's wrong with the internet. Anyone with no talent thinks they're a mixing engineer, when in reality he's just a glorified, talentless DJ.

What a joke.

OK, now everyone, please stop sending me PM's or anything else. I'm out of this waste of bandwidth and I regret wasting my time trying to educate this bozo, now that I've listened to his......um......"music". LOL! :D

....other than that, I got no problem with the guy..................:D

I'm baaaaaaack.........:D

Actually, I didn't want to come back. This talentless hack isn't worth half the time I've already given him. But I got a PM from someone telling me to check out the thread. I'm assuming it's because you said his stuff sounded good? I have no idea. But I'm here and saw this post.

So, I listened to some of his samples. What's he "mixing"? A bunch of pre-recorded, pre-packaged samples? You going to to tell me you can't mix that crap, let alone your 3 year old niece?

Seriously, this is a joke. I wouldn't even care, but since he's the one that took the thread in the direction of "Your music sounds like crap", all I can say is, if this shitty EDM, cookie-cutter, paint-by-numbers dog shit is what "2015" is all about, then thank god I'm just playing the music I like for fun. You can call me old and tell me I'm living in the past all you want. I'll be proud of it if this pre-packaged, brainless, disco-beat fluff that ANYONE can mix is any indication of what this bozo thinks is good. I know I have some talent. This guy doesn't even know what an instrument is and is only able to mix "music" (HAHA!) that's pretty much already mixed for him.Talk about having ZERO talent.

And he's writing tutorials? This loser is the poster boy for everything that's wrong with the internet. Anyone with no talent thinks they're a mixing engineer, when in reality he's just a glorified, talentless DJ.

What a joke.

OK, now everyone, please stop sending me PM's or anything else. I'm out of this waste of bandwidth and I regret wasting my time trying to educate this bozo, now that I've listened to his......um......"music". LOL! :D

Hey Rami,

I'll try one more time to have a gentle conversation with you, but I am not sure if this would be good for someone that responds "I am not reading all that shit", all the time.
Well at least, some other members would read it so I guess my time typing is worth it. Hope we can have a nice communication at last.

The reason I became kind again with you is because we may shed some light to all this argument. I am sick and tired of this. I prefer to be well even with people that I don't agree with.

I also understood by your quote above, that you don't really have problem with me, but you've got a problem with samples and DJs.
You call me talentless because I play no instruments, as you mentioned, and because I am a talentless dj.

I have said countless times that I am not even a DJ. I mostly enjoy rock and metal music, but since I need to pay my bills I can't say "ew I can't mix and master that sh*t"!. I mix everything, I love mixing.
I am a mixing & mastering engineer, neither a great producer neither a DJ. In fact, I suck at producing, and I am trying to change it. I would like to get better at epic/cinematic music.

I just mix and master WAV files to make them sound commercial using only plugins. That's what I do. I do not produce songs from scratch, cause I suck.

That's why I am telling you that I can't be offended when you're telling me that I suck. Cause I haven't uploaded something mine yet.
You cannot make me go mad that I suck at producing, when nothing is mine. I just MIX and MASTER OTHERS songs. Can you please understand this?

Now...

About the "hello we're in 2015" stuff, I never said that playing an instrument is worse than composing using MIDI keyboard. I used to play the electric guitar that I pretty much sucked at it,
and I have no problem saying that I suck at something. I found a new passion: to mix and master music. I did not mean dj mixing. I meant the regular and famous mixing & mastering.

The "hello we're in 2015" stuff was meant for the analog and digital processors. Not for real instruments.
But I guess since my english suck and my mind has a hard time translating, then I guess i have to say sorry for not being clear.

Since I am a mixing engineer it's pretty logical for me to get ready-made stems/wav files, either it's a kick drum or a guitar that was recorded through a microphone.
And since we both know that recording > mixing, then I ask from the clients to send me DIrect tracks with sources (guitar plugged to sound card for example), so I can re-amp the signal through my own amps (which is basically re-recording again).

I do the same stuff with drums. I connect to my drum kit some triggers, so I can get the sound of my drums. I know the sound of my drumkit very well, so I know the best out of it,
so when I know the best out of it, I create samples to save myself some time. It's the same thing like you're using templates. You are sure that you're going to use at least 1 delay or reverb, so you're creating that
shorcut. At least, that's how I am using samples.

We both know that if the source sound sucks, then no matter the post-process, no matter how much you improve the sound with EQs, compressors and stuff, we mixing engineers are limited.
We may improve it, but still no good source = no commercial. Unless you re-amp the signal of an amp for example (which is re-recording, same thing). The player's performance is the same, but the sound is changing, and that's what I care for as a mixing engineer, to produce a better record.

Unless the guitarist sends me a message and tells me "I know that you told me that if you don't re-amp the sound it will suck, but I don't care keep my sound", then for sure I won't re-amp
and instead will try to fiddle with EQ to get the best of of it. Since the band is hiring a recording/mixing engineer and instead of listening to him, they prefer to keep their sound, then I can't do nothing more than listen to them. Just don't mention my name in the record...

Even though I prefer rock and metal and I am not expert in electronic music... You do know that you can also create your own sounds with synths and waveforms, right?
There's a person in the world (hope I can find the video/link) that he can create any sound he can hear using a synth. The purpose of this is to try to show you that this is called sound design.

I know that most people prefer to use ready-made presets, but in electronic music, djs know much more than we think, because not all DJs are using ready made stuff. They like sound design too, creating
their own sounds with synths.

And I really I would hope for everyone to send me professional "mix-ready" samples as you say but they don't. Some people create their own sound using synths and while I am telling them
that this needs to be re-designed (it's the same as if I would use the word "re-recorded" for a guitar) they simply don't care and tell me "do what you can with post process we trust you".

It's exactly the same as someone records an electric guitar with no mids at all, harsh high end and way too much bass, and say to you "now mix it". Can you explain to that guy that no matter how much
we'll fix it, the sound is not ready to be put in a mix?

Trust me, EDM music is not as you think it is, I really hoped it is, but not all people are finding ready made samples and presets. Some people actually do create their own sounds, and I actually support this.
But when their own sounds can't be put in a mix and they think that an EQ can transform their sound to a commercial one, then there's a problem it must to be solved. And this is the communication between you (the engineer) and the band/sound designer. I hope I won't get a response from you like "I am not reading all that shit" again. But If I do well... Some people that are watching the thread, they may find the response useful... Even if one person finds it useful, that's enough :)

Last edited:
What a weekend!

First, a car wreck (jack knifed try hit a car) on the Toowoomba range (the 7 km steep twisty stretch on the main road into town) delays the start of the show I was working last night) and now I visit HR to find a train wreck. Since bad things tend to come in threes, I won't be standing under any main flight paths for a while.

Anyway, without entering into the details of THIS newbie guide, I'd like to offer some thoughts on what might make a good post rather than a contentious one.

As soon as soon as a "guide" recommends single, specific brands it becomes suspect. A guide that says "you should buy an audio interface that features a suitable number of inputs and outputs for your needs, uses its own dedicated ASIO drivers and has latency free direct hardware monitoring. For many beginners, a two channel interface is perfect but, if you're going to want to record rock drum kits or even full bands then you may need something more elaborate and expensive" is fine. At this point, a list like "some suitable two channel interfaces would be X, Y and Z but there are many others".

However, as soon as the guide says "buy the Forcusrite Scarlett 2i2" it becomes advertising, not a guide (even though this interface would be on my recommended "X, Y, Z" list).

The other thing to avoid is personal opinion (sometimes ill-informed) masquerading as fact. I've already railed against the "Cheap JBLs are better than Genelec" part of the guide. The JBLs may work for the author and may even be worth suggesting as part of a list--not many newbies will afford Genelecs. However, to suggest that the JBLs are somehow better than a very expensive, industry standard monitors used in thousands of professional studios is simply incorrect and my indicate other problems in the author's studio space.

Finally, some may disagree with me but I firmly believe there's a danger in trying to simplify things too much. There are a lot of newbies who'd love to grasp at a "if I buy this it'll just work" solution but I think we all know there's more too it than that. Just as playing an instrument takes some understanding and practice, so does using home studio gear. The trick...and I certainly don't claim to have mastered it...is to give enough information to start people in the right direction so they can begin the journey, not try to do it all at once.

What a weekend!

First, a car wreck (jack knifed try hit a car) on the Toowoomba range (the 7 km steep twisty stretch on the main road into town) delays the start of the show I was working last night) and now I visit HR to find a train wreck. Since bad things tend to come in threes, I won't be standing under any main flight paths for a while.

Anyway, without entering into the details of THIS newbie guide, I'd like to offer some thoughts on what might make a good post rather than a contentious one.

As soon as soon as a "guide" recommends single, specific brands it becomes suspect. A guide that says "you should buy an audio interface that features a suitable number of inputs and outputs for your needs, uses its own dedicated ASIO drivers and has latency free direct hardware monitoring. For many beginners, a two channel interface is perfect but, if you're going to want to record rock drum kits or even full bands then you may need something more elaborate and expensive" is fine. At this point, a list like "some suitable two channel interfaces would be X, Y and Z but there are many others".

However, as soon as the guide says "buy the Forcusrite Scarlett 2i2" it becomes advertising, not a guide (even though this interface would be on my recommended "X, Y, Z" list).

The other thing to avoid is personal opinion (sometimes ill-informed) masquerading as fact. I've already railed against the "Cheap JBLs are better than Genelec" part of the guide. The JBLs may work for the author and may even be worth suggesting as part of a list--not many newbies will afford Genelecs. However, to suggest that the JBLs are somehow better than a very expensive, industry standard monitors used in thousands of professional studios is simply incorrect and my indicate other problems in the author's studio space.

Finally, some may disagree with me but I firmly believe there's a danger in trying to simplify things too much. There are a lot of newbies who'd love to grasp at a "if I buy this it'll just work" solution but I think we all know there's more too it than that. Just as playing an instrument takes some understanding and practice, so does using home studio gear. The trick...and I certainly don't claim to have mastered it...is to give enough information to start people in the right direction so they can begin the journey, not try to do it all at once.

+1 to all that.

There's way too much personal opinion in the guide. The title is a misnomer as well. I can see nothing Ultimate in that guide. Ultimate is such a powerful word but there is nothing in that guide to match up to the title.

Anyone of us here could argue any and all of the points made in it based on our own personal experiences with gear. There is no ultimate way or suite of equipment for all people.

I think it's worded badly from start to finish as a guide. If you wrote it as a kind of diary of your progress from where you were to where you are now with your gear, then that would work. But there's too much "matter of fact" opinion in it for a guide or for it to be really useful to anyone. It could just lead people, who know no better, into buying the wrong equipment for them.

I can see what you're trying to do but I think you need a re-think and a re-write. :thumbs up:

I don't like it.
Your guide isn't sure if it's about mixing, mastering, recording (in the true sense) or creating with VIs.
You're making very bold claims so I suggest you clarify.

It's all about 'recording studios' but there's no meaningful mention of instrument quality, performance, mic choice/placement, acoustic treatment, tuning etc - Basically the important bits!
(All the bits RAMI has sussed, incidentally) :p

If you're presenting audio examples where you've tinkered with someone else's recordings or some VI creation, that's not really recording, is it?

You and I both know the average noob, which is your demographic, is going to read this and think "I can compete with Abbey Road now - fact!"
He can't. He's going to set up his NT1a and start blattering away on his $40 nylon string guitar in his awful sounding bedroom and end up with exactly the same shit that everyone else doing that ends up with.
Tell him that.

Either that or simply stick to entry-level gear recommendations based on your experience without all the extra faff.

Last edited:
Rightio . . . there's enough info and feedback here for OP to take on board and revise his guide.

I remember reading the earlier posts, but I haven't gone back there for a while, so I don't recall what salient points were made there, but Bobbsy summed it up pretty well a couple of days ago.

I can't see there is much to be gained by continuing, so I'll close this now and await the revised edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back