Having marshall amp on album cover?

:) I'll do a few different ones and chose which one I like best. I not bothered about it being the best album cover of all time but do want it represent at least the right type of music.

If that's the case, then yeah I think your album cover is all wrong. A Strat leaning against a Marshall halfstack does not convey "indie rock". My immediate thought was some ghastly blues rock.

If that's the case, then yeah I think your album cover is all wrong. A Strat leaning against a Marshall halfstack does not convey "indie rock". My immediate thought was some ghastly blues rock.

Ok so what is the problem is it the strat and stack, or quality of the picture or the whole idea?

Ok so what is the problem is it the strat and stack, or quality of the picture or the whole idea?

Well for me, the whole thing doesn't work if you're trying to convey an indie rock message. The baby in shades reeks of Van Halen. The Strat reeks of blues. The Marshall, and I love Marshalls, carries the stigma of buttrock. It's a bunch of dated references.

Ok guys thanks. I'll think of something else to represent the album title. Probably will just take a picture of something that has nothing to do with anything like was suggested.

Thanks for the input

Lol. You gotta use like a picture of a tree, or a bad drawing of a foot with a moon behind it or something like that to be "indie". That's the rules. :D

Lol. You gotta use like a picture of a tree, or a bad drawing of a foot with a moon behind it or something like that to be "indie". That's the rules. :D

Ok :) I'll try something a million miles away from the whole point

Are you going to sell enough of these to make Marshall notice? I really don't think they will come after you if they don't know you exist.

If you sell millions of them and all of your songs talk about how marshalls are children's toys, they might have a problem. If you burn 100 of them and sell them at shows withing 100 miles of your house, they probably couldn't be bothered.

Mind you, why would you advertise a company who isn't compensating you in some way?

I wouldn't. Modify it so you don't violate any trademarks or copyrights and then you don't have to worry about it.

Ok, to the people I've been speaking with previously how is this sleeve design for indie/rock/psychedelic?

Last edited:
You are right to ask. However, photos of a working situation in the studio or on the stage does not require any permission. After all, it is good for the, as a brand. you might consider this. Send them a letter requesting permission and telling them you are struggling for finances. Be sure the Marshall equipment and logo are featured big. They might just offer to help out. After all, they should be paying you for the product plug. We used that in NYC a lot in advertising, getting costs defrayed. Feature films also do product placement and pay for the opportunity. You might not be selling a lot right now, but they never know when you might hit it big.
Rod Norman
Engineer and producer

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about having a marshall amp and logo in the background of an album cover. do i need to get permission and/or pay them etc?
obviously its a brand so my guess is probably yes, just wondering if anyone knows for sure.

thanks

First, this is a trademark issue, not a copyright issue. I believe someone already posted what I consider to be the most accurate answer to the OP, which was something along the lines of "if you're using their trademarked logo as a means to make a statement about your product, then there will be legal issues." But, since you're not a well-known artist (and I assume you're not signed to a major label or any label), IF Marshall noticed the use of their trademark, and IF they felt it was inappropriate enough to take action, the worst thing they can do is issue you a cease-and-desist letter, threatening further legal action if you continue to use their logo (they'll probably say that you're "misrepresenting" their company with your particular use of their logo). But, the only other legal action they could take would be to sue you for damages, which they're not gonna do because you most likely don't have enough assets to make such a lawsuit worthwhile.

Now, when I was signed to Virgin Records a few years back, ANY & EVERY photoshoot we did, whether it was for promotional purposes, an album cover, a magazine/print material, etc., was supervised by a rep from Virgin who was there to ensure we didn't include ANY logos of ANY sort in any of the photos. T-shirt with a random design on it? Cover it up. Jean jacket with a Ramones patch on it? Cover it up. Any sort of corporate logo in the background of the shot? Photoshop it out. They did this because they're a HUGE, wealthy corporation with plenty of assets to go after if any of the owners of the particular trademarks we wore decided they wanted to sue.

Back