Having marshall amp on album cover?

I used a pic of one of my Marshall rigs on the inside cover of my last album. Not to broadcast my Marshallness, but because it was an actual tracking pic. I was also using a Les Paul, had Vic Firth tracking headphones on, and I was wearing a New Orleans Saints NFL ball cap and a Mighty Mouse T-shirt. I wasn't about to "black" out all of those logos. It's just a pic.

So what halfstack are you using?

I know what you mean.

Its just a solid state, nothing that special but i wanted a big amp to tower over the baby.

Here is the cover. is it even that good to be going to all this trouble for or should i start on a new one? (brand free this time :) )

Last edited:
I'm under the impression (and this is just an impression) that it's all about the copyright owner of the picture. If you took it, you own the copyright (unless you just take a picture of other copyrighted work, I guess). You're not allowed to advertise on the BBC, but if something in a programme or film is there coincidentally, then that's fine (and this is why product placement is big business), so I would think Marshall would love for their logo to be seen there. Same with album covers, surely. You're advertising them, not stealing their work. They make amps.

My understanding is that in this case, any litigation would be on the use of the trademark. You can use brand names without worrying as long as you don't use it in a way that would open yourself to litigation. The McDonald 'M's are a good example of where when they took a dislike to them being used, it was copyright infringement that was the focus - not the name. In Marshall's case, it's the flowing typeface that is the protected feature - but if you buy a product, you can publish a picture of yourself using it. Titling the album 'rubbish amps' and then sitting in front of one is a bit different.

Here is the cover. is it even that good to be going to all this trouble for or should i start on a new one? (brand free this time :) )

To be totally honest, no, it is not. I won't bother going into detail what all went into arriving at that opinion because I think it will just come off as mean, which is not the intention. But the short answer is that it looks very "homemade" (which it is, so I mean that's maybe what you're going for) and it is very "literal." Like song lyrics, blatantly in-your-face literal works in some genres (think 70s punk anarchy stuff) but in other genres literality just comes of as amateur, sophomoric, unrefined. If this is some kind of guitar-driven rock thing, which I assume it is based on that album cover, perhaps something a little more imaginative. I feel like we've seen the guitar leaning against the amp (baby with sunglasses or no baby with sunglasses) a million times before from every amateur guitar virtuoso out there putting out a CD. The photoshop treatment on the image doesn't help either.

Art is subjective though. It's your album and your message to convey. So do what makes you happy and expresses your art!

As for the logo, how many of these are you pressing? I can't really see Marshall Amps going after some guy putting out 200 CD-Rs. The logo is blatantly intentional (not a random studio or live shot) so you never know. My bet is that your CD doesn't even show up on their radar though. So go for it!

I wouldn't put any faith in what anyone says in here if you're really this worried about it. There is only one actual copyright lawyer that I know of at this site, and he has not posted in this thread.

I do get the impression that you're using the Marshall and Fender brand to make a statement about your album. Consult a lawyer. Or just go for it. I seriously doubt you will catch the attention of anyone.

To be totally honest, no, it is not. I won't bother going into detail what all went into arriving at that opinion because I think it will just come off as mean, which is not the intention. But the short answer is that it looks very "homemade" (which it is, so I mean that's maybe what you're going for) and it is very "literal." Like song lyrics, blatantly in-your-face literal works in some genres (think 70s punk anarchy stuff) but in other genres literality just comes of as amateur, sophomoric, unrefined. If this is some kind of guitar-driven rock thing, which I assume it is based on that album cover, perhaps something a little more imaginative. I feel like we've seen the guitar leaning against the amp (baby with sunglasses or no baby with sunglasses) a million times before from every amateur guitar virtuoso out there putting out a CD. The photoshop treatment on the image doesn't help either.

Art is subjective though. It's your album and your message to convey. So do what makes you happy and expresses your art!

As for the logo, how many of these are you pressing? I can't really see Marshall Amps going after some guy putting out 200 CD-Rs. The logo is blatantly intentional (not a random studio or live shot) so you never know. My bet is that your CD doesn't even show up on their radar though. So go for it!

Thanks for the reply and honest opinion.

I'll start working on something else then if you think it's that bad and uunoriginal.... and maybe keep this for a single cover (although will have the same problem :) )

I'll start working on something else then if you think it's that bad and uunoriginal.... and maybe keep this for a single cover (although will have the same problem :) )

Just take it on board as some random dude on the internet's BS opinion. If you love the cover and the logo is the only issue, have you tried just Photoshopping it out?

Jeez, one guy doesn't like it so you're gonna redo it?

Album covers are like band names - they pretty much universally suck. If you like it, that's all that matters.

Just wanted to thank LJUK for having an open dialog here and not getting all bent out of shape. Good discussion on album art!

I do agree though, it's a terrible album cover. I don't know your music, but that cover screams dated cheesey blues rock. :laughings:

And echoing what the other Greg said, don't going changing it for me! Although, if you see what I'm saying, I won't fault ya for scrapping it ;)

Jeez, one guy doesn't like it so you're gonna redo it?

Album covers are like band names - they pretty much universally suck. If you like it, that's all that matters.

Well this logo copyright stuff is a bit of a mystery and a hassle so unless it blew people away I was tempted to do something else and the first person that's commented thought it was bad so.... :)

Lol ok guys :) the music is Indie rock and was hoping for cool image so I guess that was a fail :)

You gotta keep it in perspective. We're nobodies. My album covers are an absolute joke. I don't care. I almost feel embarrassed for people that do "serious" album covers. Do what makes you happy and just roll with it. It doesn't matter. Albums are a dying format anyway.

Lol ok guys :) the music is Indie rock and was hoping for cool image so I guess that was a fail :)

That imagery definitely does not convey "indie rock" to me. If anything, a Marshall half stack would be the last amp I would expect to see in that genre. You need to get some Orange hipster amp stat!

Unless of course you are going for the "ironic hipster" sub-genre of indie rock, which in that case your album cover is perfect as is!

That imagery definitely does not convey "indie rock" to me. If anything, a Marshall half stack would be the last amp I would expect to see in that genre. You need to get some Orange hipster amp stat!

Or a Vox or Fender combo. Better yet......Silvertone. Throw a Silvertone and a Fender Jag on the cover and it will make more sense.

Or even better still.....some random picture of a random anything. Instant ironic indie hipster album cover.

You gotta keep it in perspective. We're nobodies. My album covers are an absolute joke. I don't care. I almost feel embarrassed for people that do "serious" album covers. Do what makes you happy and just roll with it. It doesn't matter. Albums are a dying format anyway.

:) I'll do a few different ones and chose which one I like best. I not bothered about it being the best album cover of all time but do want it represent at least the right type of music.

Back