Have you signed up for the RPM Challenge yet?

MikeSknabriaf

I just did (Michael Sknabriaf).

The RPM Challenge is based out of New Hampshire (not sure why I relate that trivial fact) and is a non-profit, non-competitive challenge for musicians and others to make a complete album in one month.

The rules are simple:

1. It's free (and might turn into some great publicity).

2. The contest begins on February 1st and ends February 28th. You may not begin early and you may not turn your work in late.

3. You must have 10 songs or 30 minutes of recorded material. Studio quality is not important. Some guys have the works, and others just use a cassette player on the coffee table.

There lies the challenge. So many of us dream of having a CD one day (and many of us already do), but a lot of people spin their wheels for years.

So give it a shot. Just remember, you have to start on the 1st or later, and cannot just grab a bunch of songs you already have started or completed. It has to be a project that begins and ends in February.

By the way, I am not affiliated with the RPM Challenge in any way other than as an artist who just signed up. I did it two years ago as well, but skipped last year. Nobody (that I'm aware of) profits off of it, and of course you always retain the copyright to your music. The only catch is that others have to be able to go online to the RPM site to hear your music.

Also, it doesn't have to necessarily be music. It can be lectures, comedy, readings, etc.

Good luck. Everyone is a winner because your only competition is the calendar.

Shoot! I totally forgot about this.

You're allowed to write and arrange your songs ahead of time, right?

Maybe I'll churn out another 1-week punk album...

Yeah, you can use pre-written stuff and even pre-recorded stuff, but the purists go for writing and recording an album in one month.

To each his own. It's Feb. 3 and I still haven't figured out what I'm doing yet for my album. I've been laying down some percussion tracks, but I'm not thrilled on anything yet.

Very cool - I haven't memorialized an original tune since...the last time I posted here! I'm going to try this and see if I can get going on the creative side again!

I did it with my wife last year and we have had a good year with that album sales-wise I am sort of doing this one in my spare time now that I finished some projects around the house... Maybe I can get some time to make music again!

Two rough tracks down, on the RPM profile pages I'm listed as "Jahn." Optimistically I already have a album name and cover - The Balcony Uprising. I'd really like to revisit those tracks already, but time is of the essense!

Back