Getting clients into your studio

Test4Echo

What techniques are you using to promote your home studio to potential clients? My home studio is big enough for soloists or duos, but I am having difficulty getting interest from that market. How do you go about getting clients to record in your studio?

trouble with the government

Unless you have at least a dba and tax id number then keep your studio business on the dl....

Matt123 said:
Unless you have at least a dba and tax id number then keep your studio business on the dl....

I have had mixed results posting ads on craigslist and myspace.

If you went through all the trouble of a website then I guess maybe you already know about what needs to be done to start a studio/business... wasn't trying to sound like a jerk just trying to help. As fas as promoting goes, I get most of my business from word of mouth and repeat customers. Maybe try an add in the paper for butting musicians to come and check out your setup.

I also network with other studio's in the area and that way if anyone has any overflow the work doesn't go undone by someone. That being said most of the stuff I do is from companies not based any where near me. With the internet and ftp/digidelivery work comes from all over the world.

I'll tell you what I would do...I'd host me a battle of the bands with the grand prize being 8-10 hours of Studio Time...sure, you don't get cash for the winner...but the loser's obviously want time or they wouldn't participate...get contact info for them...have fliers made up for your studio.

Get some sponsors to sell concessions to help cover some costs too.

I'd be all about it...if I had the time and enough equipment.

Matt123 said:

I was under the impression that unless you made a certain amount per year that you don't have to report it. I also think that amount is very low ($500 - $1000).

I've done the craigslist and local phoenix trades, but haven't got much of a response. I find it curious that no one has mentioned flyers in the local music store, I guess that does get much traction either?

BTW, thanks for all the great input. I'm a newbie to this site, but have been recording for years. Sorry to be off topic, but I notice there isn't a dedicated section to those that use Logic.

I've also offered up in the online classifieds to do some sweetening to video projects. Thinking this would get clients from ASU, as they often do projects for school.
I've set some VERY obtainable goals for myself this year with the studio but 7 months into this year and I have not had my first client.
Do you think that the "home recording" stigma makes it more difficult to find clients?

like someone else mentioned, make a damned myspace page

pu flyers in music shops, tattoo shops, record stores, high school/college campuses, clubs...it doesn't matter - wherever musicians congregate in your neck of the woods

and yea, give away some free studio time...and make sure it's not quite long enough to finish the project they're gonna come in with, so that you can still manage to charge them something. or be nice, and don't.

The fact is, most studio clients come from word of mouth. This means you need to record people and do a good job so they will recommend you to others. The best way to do that is to start with musicians you know (people you are or were in bands with, etc.) - the key is to record pople who know people (recording a songwriter who sits at home and does not gig and/or associate with other musicians won't generate word of mouth).

Given that you indicate you are not set up to record bands - and that you are only set-up for solo acts or duels, you have already limited your potential clients.

I think the idea of sponsering a battle of the bands with a price of x recording hours is a good idea - but if you can't do bands, it won't work. Hiowever, if you have any clubs that sponser a singer/songwriter open mic night - you could possibly work with the club to sponser a contest with studio time as a prize.

Another option would be to see if there are any songwriter groups that meet in your area -or see if a local music store will sponser a songwriter workshop with a drawing for x recording time.

The problem with trying to work with a music store (or even trying to post flyers in a music store) is - it's a good chance that some maybe several of the people working in the store have studios and you're now trying to take business away from them.

Back