get down from there volume two

dobro

I haven't seen too many reviews on this page, so if this is in the wrong forum, I'm happy to have it shifted to where it belongs.

Drstawl's come up with another album, and this one's called Get Down From There, Volume Two. Reason I like it is chiefly because of its beauty. Keep in mind, though, that with most of the stuff recorded by the big boys and selling millions, I wouldn't walk across the street to dump it into the rubbish bin. Which is just another way of saying yes, this album's different - Drstawl speaks a language of his own, and if at first you don't understand it, then I suggest that you just have another drink and listen to it again. This will take an hour, as there are 60 tracks averaging about a minute each (I told you he speaks a language of his own!). Perhaps a tranlation is in order.

There was a guy once called Domenico Scarlatti, and he played harpsichord music that sounded something like this, but this is different. This one's got drum sounds, and clarinet sounds, and pizzicato violins and girly voices going "doo doo doo", and Domenico would've been dead envious if he'd lived this long. Back in Domenico's day, violin reined supreme. These days, it's the electric guitar. Now, I like electric guitar (I bought Frank Black's "Teenager of the Year" this week - and you'd better too, if you haven't already), but drstawl's latest is *synth*, and that's different from Frank Black. You get harps with drstawl, and vibes. Again, different language.

If this is less than completely lucid, then it must be the Johnny Walker talking, so find out for yourself. Send him $12 (it worked for me) and watch what happens. He even sings on this one, and one day this album will be famous for it.

Back