Genre and opinions on the EP

collopthefox

I'd like to know if my EP is really progressive-psychedelic as I think it is, and what you guys think of it. Please, be constructive :guitar::guitar:
And if someone would like to share your album, I'd be happy to hear too!
Cheers!

PS: This EP is more like pink floyd but we're making things more like tame impala or smthg close to it.

Soundcloud

Bandcamp

I'd like to know if my EP is really progressive-psychedelic as I think it is, and what you guys think of it. Please, be constructive :guitar::guitar:
And if someone would like to share your album, I'd be happy to hear too!
Cheers!

PS: This EP is more like pink floyd but we're making things more like tame impala or smthg close to it.

Soundcloud

Bandcamp

Skimmed a few songs (all I have time for atm) but I really enjoyed Wolf. So i'm gonna base my critique on that. Music/sound wise..you guys are super good and you've made a fan. You guys got a FB? Anywho yeah the music is good. The mix isn't bad either. The only complaint is the drums. The hi hat has too much high end to the point its annoying. The snare could use some more life and the kick drums isn't really there. Maybe a tad more reverb on the drums would be nice. What did you record the drums with?

All and all its a good mix.. most listeners prob. won't notice the drums but the only thing I see that need improvement is that. All the rest is nice..balance is nice, guitars/bass/vocals are clear as day. I enjoyed it man

This is the second time I came around to listen.

First time I must admit, I was turned off and forgot about it.

Let's be constructive:

First off, I don't care how psychedelic you feel, but you have to tune those instruments. Especially the guitars on Venator (worst sounding of them at the top), but the drums are suffering from a lack of focus as well.

That being said, there is some really cool emotion going on here. That I respect and enjoy on the other tunes. Quite a few timing issues all around but I suppose that is the feel of the songs.

Keep on keepin on man! :)

Just giving my honest opinion, not trying to be a dick.

I agree. The instruments need to be tuned. I've found in psychedelic music, a guitar going out of tune after a screaming solo is just fine; it's pretty cool, actually.

Not being in tune right from the get-go, though? It's not enjoyable to listen to sometimes.

I think that nowadays this would probably be classified as something like "shoegaze indie rock"? Pink floyd isn't a particularly apt comparison since their arrangements were always much fuller (bigger tones out of the instruments, more synth pads, etc.) Also, they play their songs faster and are more about extended grooves than noodley solos.

Jimmy's critiques are spot on. Make sure your instruments are in tune; the drums are pretty muddy and lifeless. You also want to make sure that you have the best performance of each instrument you can muster. I heard a lot sour notes on the guitar: extra strings ringing from a sloppy pick, notes stopping abruptly from a bad fingering, etc.

Back