General Copyright Answers

uhm iunno bout that ez I mean I haven't heard other BIG bands play my tunes but local bands on labels yes!

www.myspace.com/onedayfans

EZ most people aren't concerned about big acts stealing their material, but people trying to make it and get signed, some of them find your tunes as a gateway! get what I mean?

uhm iunno bout that ez I mean I haven't heard other BIG bands play my tunes but local bands on labels yes!

www.myspace.com/onedayfans

EZ most people aren't concerned about big acts stealing their material, but people trying to make it and get signed, some of them find your tunes as a gateway! get what I mean?

Yeah, I would have to agree. As a composer of soundtracks, I'm pretty sure I don't have to worry about John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith stealing my material, especially Jerry Goldsmith since he recently kicked the oxygen habit, but I do have to worry about some unscrupulous music library or licensing company involved in improprieties. I admit, it hasn’t happened to me but it has happened to some colleagues of mine.

not true,

being from more the hiphop side of music i encounter song stealing a lil bit more frequently then say an acoustic guitarist, or pianist would (not that that doesnt happen)

i sample for beats, so im not going to say im totally against it.
but i also compose hiphop beats from scratch without any samples, so i have many works that are completly my own, that although i care a little more about the use of any material in them then i would a sampled song, im still fine with being sampled myself, even my beats being used.

but i would like credit as whatever role i played, and if they make a DECENT amount of money, cut me in for a small percentage.

im a pretty trusting guy, so i put some of my old beats up, or new stuff that i wont directly use.

i only really use myspace music for promotion, so its not like its overly hard to steal my stuff. im not a big artist either.

ive had 2 beats pop up on other peoples myspaces, who were actually from the same city as me, and it was a beat i had for sale for $10 at the time on myspace. instead these song-stealers decide just to download it using one of those myspace song hijackers and promote the song as one of the title tracks on there CD.

which will be for sale!

can i do anything about it? not likely
i wouldnt say i had a case, thats for sure.

ive also had some people interstate use my beat for a track, also had people steal my voice (about 4 words worth) for samples in there song without permission.

when i hit them up about it they told me to get f@$%ed and basically denyed using them at all.

and dont even get me started on the lyric side of things, had some big problems in that department too.

along with the 5-10 msgs i get from people on myspace asking me for "free beats" every week/fortnight sometimes i do get a little concerned about copyright and were my work is going to end up.

zero songs thats why i said IF and i also caps locked the word DECENT, which means i could care less if they make 100 bucks off my song, but if it goes platnium i would like to be cut in on the profits.

the point was that people have stolen my stuff before, and its been used for radio, to sell CDs, and as a promo track, all without a mention of myself.

AND

theyve actually denied me being the creator of the works at all.

im not going to say that my beats are worth being stolen or could end up being a hit at all.
but i have lots of people who enjoy my music, and i also have alot of local people who really like my beats.

if my beats have already been stolen and used before, why would i not have to be worried about the future? im an absolute nobody in music and still people have managed to find my stuff, steal it, use it, and deny me ever making it.

BUT IF...

one of those songs or beats does happen to be used or stolen, and ever went on to make some money, id like a percentage, and to be fully credited for doing what i did on the track.

i feel like thats more then fair on my part.

if something similar has ever happened anyone else, you probably feel the same about it too.

its all good and easy to say no one will steal your songs, and if they do big deal right youll never make any money.
but its not money that IM worryed about
these are my piano lines, my basslines, my songs, MY VOICE!

and ive been totally discredited as the creator.

if that doesnt leave a bad taste in your mouth when recording music, then i dont know what will.

how many of your "beats" ended up being used for a hit single?

zero songs

see the original post and premise of the thread, which was tongue in cheek, sort of:
1. No one is going to steal your stupid crappy songs. Don't bother even asking stupid questions about copyriting them.

the point was that people have stolen my stuff before, and its been used for radio, to sell CDs, and as a promo track, all without a mention of myself.

well then now you know how every single artist in the history of music felt right up until Paul's Boutique was released and a judge gave the order that credit must be given to any artist whose music is sampled. :p

ok EZ

all im saying is its pretty s*** house to have a piano line or even a whole beat your proud of played on the radio and not have your name mentioned. for me at least

and i dont really agree with..

1. No one is going to steal your stupid crappy songs. Don't bother even asking stupid questions about copyriting them.

when your small time, those are the kind of things that matter.

like you said, maybe i should harden up a bit and get used to the fact, if i put it out there, im at risk, and i agree with you.

just as a musician and a home recordist, everyone here should be aware of the crap feelings that come with having your work stolen.

ok EZ

all im saying is its pretty s*** house to have a piano line or even a whole beat your proud of played on the radio and not have your name mentioned. .

they almost never give you the name of the artist whose music you are listening to on the radio. would you be mad at a radio station for playing one of your songs and not declaring it was written and recorded by audio_leak, or whatever name you record under?

thats a good point actually, a few times they didnt even mention the artists who stole it.

still it doesnt change the fact the music has been stolen in the first place, does it?

man, you're mean. why would you want all of us to be aware of that? :p

maybe not EVERYONE then, thats going a bit far i guess.
ive just had some experiences that sucked, and im sharing them.

it doesnt happen alot to of indie artists but it still does happen.

thats a good point actually, a few times they didnt even mention the artists who stole it.

still it doesnt change the fact the music has been stolen in the first place, does it?

i'm not talking about stolen music. let's say the radio plays three songs in a row, jumpin' jack flash>my generation>sgt. peppers. they don't come on and say "that was the rolling stones, the who, and the beatles". what if they played your song right after that and didn't mention your name either, would you be mad at that?

i wouldnt be mad at the fact that my name wasnt mentioned with the name of the artist who stole my material

but would i still be mad at the artist for stealing it.

depends on the situation.

like i said ive had kids come through on myspace, steal my song for a beat to use and record some crap verse over it. although it doesnt help my name any to have that artist release a crap song with it. it does help to have that artist tell his friends where that beat is from (if he did) and hopefully they all come and check out my page.

THAT doesnt bother me at all, why?

because that kid isnt going anywhere, hes just recording for fun.
and although I should be getting the 10-50 bucks for the rights to the beat. its not like that beat is still unusable.

but as i said already in my LOOOOONG drawn out post before.
its the other people who are serious home recording artists, with mid level talent, who need beats or instrumentals.
those are the people im worried about.

i wouldnt be mad at the fact that my name wasnt mentioned with the name of the artist who stole my material

but would i still be mad at the artist for stealing it.

jesus christ, what's wrong with you? i'm not talking about someone stealing your music! i'm saying what if a song that you wrote and recorded was played on the radio and the dj didn't say your name? would you be mad then?

calm down.

yes and no actually. that would also depend on the situation

i am very calm, so you don't worry about that.

when would having your song played on the radio but not have the dj give your name be a bad situation? and when would it be good?

Back