Flash Mp3 Players

PDP

There once was a note
Does anyone know what is involved in running a flash mp3 player on your own website. Do you need a computer on 24/7 to host/serve the website so people can play your songs when they access your site? :confused:

Yes. You will need a server with a static IP address. Otherwise, your site will be unavailable whenever you turn off your computer.

Most people just lease space from a webhost (That's your term to google) instead of hosting their own site since a static IP alone will cost you $100+ a month.

Cheap hosting will cost you $20 a month or so. There are a lot of options: host monks, wiredtree, GoDaddy (though they've recently had some controversy involving killing elephants, so maybe not), etc.

There are a few free mp3 player for download, i'm sure you googled and found them. I'm not web savvy at all, but I was still able to incorporate one into a website. It was pretty easy. Can't remember which one. Just try all the free ones until you come across one you like.

I eventually took it off and just provided links to samples. The samples are like 30 seconds long and I leave it up to the visitor to decide how he will listen to it.

You can find cheaper web hosts than $20/mo. I think I pay $4 or was it $6 per month.

Thank You Steve.

Thanks Chili,

I saw those free players, but dont you still need to store your samples somewhere? Anyway $20 mo. and under is pretty affordable so seems like its worth doing.

Thanks again,
Pete

but dont you still need to store your samples somewhere? Anyway $20 mo. and under is pretty affordable so seems like its worth doing.

Thanks again,
Pete

Yeah, you need to get a website. ...or do something like soundclick, reverbnation, etc....

cool.

I built a website on Just host and it was pretty easy

As far as hosting mp3s I started out having them on my own site's server but recently, I've actually found it's easiest to upload songs to revebation and then just embed a reverbnation widget onto my site.
This way when I add or update music in my reverbnation account, all of my widgets everywhere else on line automatically update too without me having to make manual changes.

Reverb nation will also allow you to track all of your widget hits, regardless of where they are placed on your account with them so you can get all of your data in one place

Just my opinion though YMMV

Thanks bristol. Nice simple website, thats what I'm lookin to do. Are you paying Reverbnation the $19 a month or using a free acount ?

Back