First share in this forum - Attention Cover

Julia Ko

Hi all this is Julia :)

This is my first time posting my cover here. The song is "Attention" by Charlie Puth.
Hope you like it and I am looking forward to any feedback!

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Well done!

I'd like to hear the guitar better, a little fuller and better quality overall. Was it all done with a single mic (guitar + vocal at the same time)? I'd at least put a decent mic on the guitar, perhaps a little closer (seems to have some of what might be less than ideal room, but that's subjective).

The vocal is very nice!

P.S. Our son just moved back from Hong Kong after working there a year. We were there for Lunar/Chinese New Year just this past Jan/Feb!

Hello Julia! What a BEAUTIFUL VOICE! As mentioned, the strings need to come forward just a hair and you also have some swallowing and lip smacking going on as well. Simple mic technique would remove this as well as moving just an inch or two away from the mic. Your breathing noise fits well with the song IMHO.

Thank you both for the comment!

I also think that the guitar sounds a bit strange, but I am in a tight budget in purchasing another mic for the guitar.
However, I am using the Scarlett 2i2 studio, so I will look into it to see how I can record the guitar sound better :)

Let me check the mic technique forum and learn some skills for the recording!

Thanks again ;)

Thank you both for the comment!

I also think that the guitar sounds a bit strange, but I am in a tight budget in purchasing another mic for the guitar.
However, I am using the Scarlett 2i2 studio, so I will look into it to see how I can record the guitar sound better :)

Let me check the mic technique forum and learn some skills for the recording!

Thanks again ;)

This is how you can get 100% better, free! Listen to the song you posted here and just record your guitar playing. Save that file. Then play your guitar track only and record only your voice. As you record your voice, try and breath through your nose if you can, either way, turn your head away from your mic every time you breath. This takes a little practice but you will get the hang of it.

Once you record both of these tracks/files, post them back on this thread. I played around with your audio file for around 20 min. Make sure you have headphones on. The changes are subtle and by no means professional. It is just an example of making your guitar sound a little louder while removing some of your breathing. I played with some reverb as well as an ping pong effect at the very end. I also raised the volume of your song by 13dbs. It is a must that you record each part of your song on separate tracks so you can add the needed effects on each one instead of the whole song as well as being able to adjust the level of each part.

View attachment 100511

Last edited:
This is how you can get 100% better, free! Listen to the song you posted here and just record your guitar playing. Save that file. Then play your guitar track only and record only your voice. As you record your voice, try and breath through your nose if you can, either way, turn your head away from your mic every time you breath. This takes a little practice but you will get the hang of it.

Once you record both of these tracks/files, post them back on this thread. I played around with your audio file for around 20 min. Make sure you have headphones on. The changes are subtle and by no means professional. It is just an example of making your guitar sound a little louder while removing some of your breathing. I played with some reverb as well as an ping pong effect at the very end. I also raised the volume of your song by 13dbs. It is a must that you record each part of your song on separate tracks so you can add the needed effects on each one instead of the whole song as well as being able to adjust the level of each part.

View attachment 100511

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!
That's definitely a technique that I didn't know before!
Let me try this technique later maybe this weekend :)
Cuz I'm always thinking if I also record my guitar while I am recording the vocal, the guitar sound will overlap with the 2 tracks

nice voice .. very intimate recording .. dunno how long you been doing it,but the recordings not that bad,imo your room is letting it down :)

watch this until you notice the difference .. then watch it another 5 times (10 if its a sunday ;) ) :)

prob feel stupid singing with your head in a bed,but who`s gonna be watching? and who will know,unless you tell em ;)

before recording guitar run around the house grabbing every duvet,towel,thick jacket,anything you can surrounding the guitar with sound killing lovely clothyness :D .. (leave room to move obviously,not like a "tent")

anyhoo,point is to kill as much room as possible,then add just a hint of FX in the daw .. effects sends are key .. using these means the original track is left untouched,its tone/dynamics remain intact ... this clean signal is then mixed with the FX sends

for example we got for ... say the vocal track

the original track ... (maybe just a hint of compression on this to tame peaks,but generally wants to be untouched .. unless needed (the duvet vid above should help you get there ))

send 1 = reverb (if your reverb does not have a "predelay" option,bin it and find another)

send 2 = chorus (just a hint of this will give a vocal (or anything else,like HiHats)"movement" )

send 3 = delay (juuuuust a tiny hint,kinda wants to follow the track tempo .. ish ..good "filler" for 1 guitar and vocal .. not so good for busy mixes)

send 4 = compression (using compression on a send means its a lil more forgiving,if you add to much it might just be what the track wants, cos --- we are mixing all these sends together with the original track --- )

using sends like this means adjusting is easy .. just move the main fader for the FX you wanna cut/boost

bear in mind you can also re-route these send tracks to other channels .. sooo,can send the compressor to the delay using the "send" on the compressors channel ... or chorus to reverb and delay or everything to everything ... every song is different,experiment ... (sending a send effect to another send effect can get pretty complicated pretty quickly,and comes with its own problems to solve .... (you now have to adjust the fx balance with the send level,and keeping track of what does what :D ))

oh,and just cos an FX preset says its for (say) drums try it anyway ... find what you like and modify how you like it .. save the presets,over time you`ll have a library of things that work for you :)

and while were at it,dont go chasing the internet for Vst fx .. the ones that come bundled with any known daw brand are brilliant (you really think a daw company would let their reputation rest on some sh*tty fx? )

edit:- ooooo oooo ! forgot to say - when using send tracks set the "mix" knob on any fx used on it to -> 100% wet <-

Sorry for replying late but thank you so much for the detailed comment!! I have always wanted to find people with the expertise to teach me at least a bit and I have met great people like you in this forum :)

I will definitely try the techniques you've mentioned! :)

I personally appreciate raw performances performed by real musicians. Kind of like walking into a pub and being pleasantly surprised by the local talent. Very nice job.

If you're looking for further advice and analysis of what you could have done differently post this in the MP3 clinic, you'll get a lot of help, good feedback. You can also upload the separate tracks and folks will remix for you.

Back