feel like an alien

I downloaded mine, psyched to give it a car listen today.

Cool. Hope it's an enjoyable listen chuck. Thanks for checking it out.

Hey pete, had chance to listen to this a few times over the last few days. Some really cool stuff on here and I'm glad you pulled it together. Tracks 3 & 5 are my favourites I think. Track 5 has a cool pastoral vibe and I like the soundscape you built up on track 3. They're also the two tracks that push you a little further our from your usual style I think, so they're really refreshing to hear.

That third track in particular - reminded me of Entroducing era DJ Shadow a little, which is a feel I've pitched for a few times. It would be really cool to hear you explore that direction more with some full vocal songs.

Yakisoba was the only one that didn't quite click with me. I think it was the 90s rock-rap style powerchords. It was well played and arranged of course, but just not quite to my taste.

Thanks for sharing it man :)

I thought you'd sold your organ by the way. How did you do the keys? They're not through the ipad are they?

Thanks rob - good to get your thoughts.

Actually I gave the Hammond away to some 16 year old kid who goes to school with my daughter. Man, was he excited to take that thing home! Felt pretty good actually vs. just selling or giving it to some random.

Yeah, keys, strings - everything other than guitars, bass and drums was performed on the iPad plugged into guitar pedals, then the amp, and recorded with a 57. It's pretty fun man. Starting to feel more like an actual instrument when you play along live through an amp like that. There are plenty of parameters to mess with, and the touch screen is actually pretty sensitive. Not too unlike playing actual keys if you get into it a little bit.

Then you introduce pedals, the amp's controls, the mic position, etc., and you have quite a lot of options to get it sounding how you want, or to just experiment. It's never going to produce high-end, authentic sounds, but I don't necessarily want or need that fortunately.

Yeah, 3 & 5 are my favorites too. Maybe partly because of what you noted, but also because they sound the most like how I intended them to. The others all went astray somewhat in terms of either style or execution. Track 1 is a cool idea, but not executed properly. 2 & 4 are just a bit cheesier than I intended. I wanted them to be darker and weirder than they turned out.

Funny you mentioned DJ Shadow! On track 3, once I got a little into it, I was totally going for a, "DJ Shadow lays down beats for members of Pink Floyd and the Flaming Lips" kind of sound. Looks like I nailed it. lol There's so many layers of synths on that one panned apart, I like how it swirls and changes constantly. That one was different too as I started it with keys and built from there. Usually I start everything on guitar. Interesting how my chord and tonal changes shifted because of it. I would like to go further in this direction, but not sure yet where to go or how to get there. We shall see. Thanks again!

Back