Facebook?

Kind of OT, but I run a disposable email address service, and not too long ago, I decided to set up a facebook page for it - when I tried to put a link to the website in the description, it wouldn't let me - saying that the link had "been reported as abusive by facebook users" - highly unlikely, if you ask me - no more information provided, either. I was at first able to use an alternative - the .net instead of .com, and that worked. Later, I tried to update, and it wouldn't let me save - now saying the .net url was blocked for the same reason.

At about the same time, users of the disposable email address service reported difficulty signing up for facebook using a disposable address from the service - it supports a number of domain names, and the most obvious ones had been blocked for a while, but the list was being expanded. I'm sure the same thing was going with other disposable email services, but I haven't verified.

At about the same time, they announced a change to their privacy policy which involved them quietly supplying your email address to third party application providers when you use an application.

Coincidence? who cares... Anyway, don't know'em, don't vouch for'em.

I think having a facebook page is nice, but I don't know how much traffic it'll generate.

I would set up a page at bandcamp.com, with an option to sign up for your mailing list in order to download tracks..

Get your music on last.fm, with a link to you bandcamp page, for full downloads.

Get a free fanbridge account, and import whatever emails you get into that, and use it to keep in touch with your fans.

And of course, have a decent website, like one from hostbaby.com. They actually have a good email list service included, so you can skip fanbridge if you use hostbaby.

Have fun!

I'm using reverbnation.com from which you can synch updates to myspace, twitter, bebo and facebook.

It's a very clever bit of technology in my opinion

http://www.reverbnation.com/theparlez

Haven't checked out bandcamp yet.

I'm also experimenting with pay per click ads on facebook, looks reasonably promising at this stage.

there's a site called ilike.com that does updates to facebook, etc, and artistdata.com looks good for updating concert calendars in bulk.

another good option is to use www.bombplates.com. It allows you to update facebook, myspace, and twitter from your official band website. It also uses a mailing list tool called sndit.com.

Back