DreamWorks Digital Taking Submissions

CMiller

I saw this a little while back and I found it interesting. They seem to be quite serious about taking MP3 submissions. We've been talking about Musicians vs. Labels, and I'd like to hear what everyone here thinks about this. Check it out...
http://harmonycentral.dreamworksdigital.com/

Review the contract, check out the BBS, there are some interesting debates going on about this. Then come back here and tell us what you think.

I'm a little tossed on this myself. I've weighed the pros and cons of a record deal and I honestly don't like the idea of sending a lable any of my catalog. They've proven themselves untrustworthy enough over the years not to trust them. However, I'm also savy enough to realize that this can be another avenue for promotion or at least to have someone hear my music.

I found item #5 in the submission agreement a bit worrying - it sounds like they can give your song to someone else to do and then sell it without you getting a cent - but you're probably covered if you make sure you register the copyright with Library of Congress first.

What's in it for them, I wonder? My understanding of most A&R guys is that they are *not* actively searching for new acts to sign, but prefer to work with known and trustworthy artists. Here's something I read recently:

"...today's exploding world of on-line music, in which a slew of music clearinghouses are hotly competing for the attention and presence of unknown artists..." (June's 'Acoustic Guitar' magazine. Why? What do the clearinghouses get out of you and me uploading our mp3s to their site for free?

I was talking to my wife about this topic and we figured that what they get is advertising revenue. If they tell musicians that they're taking submissions, thousands of artists will spend a ton of time on the Dreamworks website uploading music and looking at banner ads. That's how all the other ones make money, so why not them?

There is a debate going on at the Dreamworks Digital BBS about why Dreamworks doesn't just go surf MP3.com for new music. Then they wouldn't have to maintain a server for all of these MP3's.

This is a new revenue model for the record lables. I'm sure they'll all be doing this soon.

Back